I have started youngs starter kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Hog

Reaction score
the young’s starter kit is what got me started in home brew. It’s highly recommended for the beginner on a budget. But if I was you I wood change you bottle capper for a bench capper.

Let me know how that tastes!

I was in wilkos yesterday thinking about picking that kit up too.
Was put off because the only pressure barrel they had was broken. :(

I didn't see bench cappers in Wilks, do they do them?
I've used the youngs twin lever capper for about 2 years but the bench cappers do have advantages over them....I want one.

Vossy1 said:
I didn't see bench cappers in Wilks, do they do them?
Nope, or my local branch certainly doesn't, but I'm asking Santa for one. Hope he's got an account with a HBS. Also hope he's got PayPal, as I want him to go and visit Norman.

I've managed for 8 brews with the Young's lever-type capper, but Wychwood bottles are a bugger and Bateman's are close to impossible.

Best of luck Beer Hog, I don't know where you are but around our way temperatures are cooling now, so I'd be wary of that “4-7 days” and take more notice of what your hydrometer says.

I've managed for 8 brews with the Young's lever-type capper, but Wychwood bottles are a bugger and Bateman's are close to impossible.
They don't really work with any bottle that has a rounded bottom lip to the opening, they're not designed for them. I've simply worn mine out and it wont grip anything now :twisted:

Wilkos larger kit was were i started,Came out very nice :thumb: I didnt bother with a capper and got a good deal off ebay with bottles that have the grolsch style flip top,there perfect for ease of use and can be used over and over again.I now have moved into the corni route,Using a 4 tap bar pump to dispense my larger/bitter and stout.AG one for the future. :cheers: :D

Well i ended up buying a injection co2 cap, the larger came out ok, good tasting lager, but was a bit on the flat side. :wha:
As mentioned above i bought the co2 cap but not till 2 weeks after conditioning in keg!

Did i need to add Co2 at the begining of conditioning in keg??

I have bought some more larger malt & yeast & have started another 5 gals.

davesiv said:
if you want to add CO2 to the youngs pressure barrel you will have to buy a different cap which will cost you about £20.

Beer Hog said:
Well i ended up buying a injection co2 cap, the larger came out ok, good tasting lager, but was a bit on the flat side. :wha:
As mentioned above i bought the co2 cap but not till 2 weeks after conditioning in keg!

1. Did you prime (add sugar) to the barrel?
2. You're better off bottling lager to get the required carbonation

Yes Added sugar to the Keg.

ash said:
Beer Hog said:

1. Did you prime (add sugar) to the barrel?
2. You're better off bottling lager to get the required carbonation

So is there any other tips on how to get more carbonation/bubbles from the keg/barrel

More Co2 or More sugar??

Latest posts

Back