I love my cask breather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

If you go to a lot of Beer festivals, then joining CAMRA is worth it for the free entry, but the opinions of some of the membership is back in the stone age, and the house 'organ' is possibly not worth the paper its printed on

So..............

When I transferred my first AG brew to a king keg the other week and primed with a couple of ounces of DME it's still 'real' ale.

It will remain 'real' until I need to add a little extra gas towards the end of the barrel.

It will then become 'unreal' ale.

Funny old world ain't it...........

A :wha:

No one has mentioned temperature yet, and it is one of the most important things to get the carbonation correct....well, UK real ale correct.

In a non technical nutshell, a cellarman stuffs a new cask in the cellar, lets it settle and get down to a temperature of 13 degrees. He then does the tap and bungs stuff to slowly let the excess pressure out and give the beer time to de-gas down to a fizz level that is known as 1 volume per volume. This carbonation level happens naturally at 13 degrees as long as the gas that is above the beer is Co2 and nothing else. That is why pub cellars are 13 degrees. 1 volume per volume means that a pint of beer has got 1 pint of Co2 dissolved into it. (If you had the cellar colder it would taste fizzier, and if it was warmer it would be flatter.....)

This is weird, but theoretically, if you then poured a pint, stuck cling film over it to trap the co2, and left it in the cellar, at this magical 13 degrees, the carbonation level in that pint would stay fine and dandy forever!!!! (as long as no other gasses got in through the cling film)
I say theoretically, because someone always comes along and drinks it before the results are in......

So, at 13 degrees, and with pure co2 in the airspace, your corny needs only atmospheric pressure to stay "real ale" fizzy, There must have been a point where the beer in the corny was carbonated to a level higher than 1VpV and that should have been achieved during secondary fermentation/ carbonation. You will have then done exactly as the cellarman did, and let the beer slowly de-gass down once it is in the 13 degree state.

Now, where do I find the links to using low pressure butane regulators to simulate cask breathers, cos my beer is nearly ready to go in the cornys, and even though I have been practicing for 42 years, I can't drink my beer as fast as CAMRA says I should, so they can far cough!

PS What does CAMRA do to compensate for pubs who are up mountains? Their atmospheric is different by a big margin compared to your seaside establishments, so even their strict rules are a load of pants

Yay, I'm not the only one who dislikes CAMRA. I joined them earlier this year and have been to a few of their meetings. I've told them all in the nicest possible way that their ideas suck. I don't agree with a number of things they claim. My main gripe is the name. I refuse to call it anything other than "cask conditioned ale". They like to bang on about how they saved British beer from becoming rubbish keg beer and that micro brewers owe them thanks for making their existence possible... Really? It must suck living outside of the UK, the rest of the world must all be drinking nothing but rubbish keg beer.
Looking at the progress that micros have made in the rest of the world, I think CAMRA are responsible for stifling our progress.

CAMRA continues to become increasingly irrelevant. "Craft" beer (despite the fact that there's no real definition of what it is) is making massive inroads and leaving CAMRA and its archaic ideas and members lagging behind. The definition of Real Ale may have been useful 40 years ago, but the beer scene is very different now (says a 31 year old who wasn't around back then!) and CAMRA gave singularly failed to move with the times. CO2 provenance is such a pointless factor on which to base beer. How about taste?!

The real problem is that they are the go-to group for a quote on current beer/pub things for the general media. Not their fault, but this does lead the general public to believe that Real Ale = real ale, and that CAMRA knows what they're talking about. Which they don't.

I used to be on a young members sub committee for CAMRA years ago but had to leave because of the snobbery of some the older committee's.

As far as I'm concerned drink what you like and if its not ruining the flavour of the beer who the hell cares?

my local camra group love me(well the ones I haven't threatened with physical bodily harm anyway) :lol:

were having a big meet the brewers thing at the Liverpool craft beer expo on the 14th of this month, should be interesting 20 plus brewers from Manchester, Merseyside, London and other areas telling camra how wrong they've got it on craft keg! :whistle:

btw im a camra member, there are lots of great people in it, unfortunately theres also a few utter plums!

Back