I think I may have ruined it...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I brewed a Rye IPA a couple of weeks ago. All went well with the day and seemed flawless.

After I had pitched the yeast and tucked it away I left it be for 10 days at which point I dry hopped and then 2 days later crash cooled.

Sounds fine I hear you all thinking... well...

Going back to the brew day she I was cleaning I found the element had "blackened". Today when sampling the colour, smell and the FG were perfect. I had a taste and thoight it was a little smokey but ok.

I then mini kegged and bottled it and then had a little left. Not wanting to waste it I popped it in a glass and sipped away. This time it seemed a much stronger burnt flavour.

Will this dissipate over time in the keg/bottle? Or have I wasted 2 weeks. 😔

63ee7492674efb4676123fd43928cb0e.jpg

Wow! You have a huge hand!

Not familiar with the recipe, but IPAs are good for keeping for a long time, and with time everything mellows. Try it after conditioning, though, as that kind of flavour often becomes less prominent once all the trub has settled out.

I dont know how bad it is, but in my experience it wont condition out. I scorched the wort of an IPA quite badly. I left it bulk conditioning for three months then ditched it because the taste didn't improve. The only beer I've ever ditched. I then scorched a stout in November, and slightly burnt a hefeweizen in Jan. I can still taste it in them too, at the same level it was at bottling.

I dont know how bad it is, but in my experience it wont condition out. I scorched the wort of an IPA quite badly. I left it bulk conditioning for three months then ditched it because the taste didn't improve. The only beer I've ever ditched. I then scorched a stout in November, and slightly burnt a hefeweizen in Jan. I can still taste it in them too, at the same level it was at bottling.
Thanks. I was thinking thinks likely the case.

I'll live and hope. If no good in 3 weeks I'll tip it and start again.

Very annoyed as it looks great!

Wow! You have a huge hand!

Not familiar with the recipe, but IPAs are good for keeping for a long time, and with time everything mellows. Try it after conditioning, though, as that kind of flavour often becomes less prominent once all the trub has settled out.
Im the BFG!

Going to give it a while and see how we go. Thanks!

Could it be a lack moving liquid such as a low boil? Or the type of element?

Bad luck Alan as the beer looked good in the glass.
Hopefully if you find the cause then you can prevent it happening again.
Yeah it's a real shame. I don't need the kegs or bottles for a few weeks so will hold off and see if anything changes although I'm not holding out much hope.

I am pretty certain it was too vigorous a boil. I had set it off and left it (never ever done that before but had guests) and it had just bee left too high I think.

Nm. I'm brewing a Tropic Thunder clone Tues eve to cheer myself up! 😉👌

I'm moving to electric now and wondered about that. I guess that's why others set the PID outputs to a lower setting.

I've heard it happens during ramps in temperature while the wort isn't moving around quickly enough to avoid burning. The solution is to stir while raising the temperature from mash to boil. Once boiling there's enough circulation and you can stop stirring.

Latest posts

Back