I Think Ive just Found a "niche" In The All Grain Market....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
So....Youve decided to go All Grain, but you dont want to pay out for 25kg MO, 1kg Crystal, 1kg TW, 1kg Chocolate, 100g of xxx hops, 100g of xxx hops.
You just want the exact ingredients for your own recipe.
Im willing to put together your requirements out of my own stock. All I will charge is what I pay for them plus P+P (please check the prices for yourself). If you live in the West Mids your more than welcome to come and collect.

If the Mods of this site decide to delete this post (sponsors request) I totally understand.

Just trying to help.
Johnnyboy

johnnyboy1965 said:
So....Youve decided to go All Grain, but you dont want to pay out for 25kg MO, 1kg Crystal, 1kg TW, 1kg Chocolate, 100g of xxx hops, 100g of xxx hops.
You just want the exact ingredients for your own recipe.
Im willing to put together your requirements out of my own stock. All I will charge is what I pay for them plus P+P (please check the prices for yourself). If you live in the West Mids your more than welcome to come and collect.

If the Mods of this site decide to delete this post (sponsors request) I totally understand.

Just trying to help.
Johnnyboy

1/ thethrifyshopper already do this so sorry to urinate on your bonfire but you have not found a niche.
2/ Most people want hops in 100g packs, because this means they get them very fresh, if you are offering to send out 20-50g of a hop out to someone, chances are those hops have come out of a bag that has been open a while, therefore those hops will be oxidized & not top quality.
3/ why would you consider selling at cost, you must be adding a margin, or its not worth your while? Therefore if you are adding a margin, even if it is tiny, don't try to pull the wool over peoples eyes, (you wont last 5 minutes in business if you do), be honest & state you will offer the best prices etc, rather than infer that "you will spend a vast amount of time per day weighing out small amounts, of goods from large amounts, buy packaging materials in bulk to put the goods in, take the said goods to the post office etc for free etc etc etc".
4/ If you do admit that you will be putting a small margin on your goods, then please also note that your post is advertising.
If you want to advertise on this site it needs to be done via one of the prefered methods and after consultation with a member of the admin team, we offer decent rates for banner ads, therefore please ask, before posting about your services.

Regards

UP

@ Uncle:
This has spun off from the topic about Worcester Hopshop's kits and I'm not sure if I entirely agree with your comments.

It was late, Johnnyboy hasn't really had chance to think this through yet, cut him some slack.

I'm not familiar with thriftyshopper and have never used them, are you saying they will weigh out AG ingredients to your own recipe?

We all know that Worcs Hopshop, Malt Miller and others already sell AG kits to a limited range of recipes, but will anyone weigh me out the ingredients if I fancy making <flicks Wheeler open at random> an Exmoor Beast?

@ Johnnyboy:
If you are talking about doing this out of the goodness of your heart for one or two members who might be toying with the idea of dabbling with the Dark Side, then that's very laudable. If anyone local wanted to collect then it would be great to chat over a beer while you weighed their ingredients.

If you go beyond doing this a couple of times without adding a mark-up, then you're an idiot and the novelty will rapidly wear off.

If you're talking about trialing this before turning it into a pocket-money sideline, then I'm joining Shane, discuss this with Admin.

As a business venture, I think it would be a pretty small niche and I certainly would never use you, I'm quite happy buying a sack of pale, a bag of crystal and a couple of vac-packs of hops from Rob.

:lol: :rofl: :thumb: I suppose i could do that too sell off bits of grain and hops just dont understand why you want to do it. Must be making cash smewhere

seems like a good idea to me I'm moving to all grain when the cash flow allows and like the idea of buying just what I need. I understand that the hops might not be as fresh and that you would need to put on a bit of cash for your time putting the order together. I don't work for free so why should you?
Sadly I'm stuck with kits until work picks up and money is better.

If there were to be a not-for-profit AG kit building thing then you really wouldn't want it to fall to just JohnnyBoy. That would very quickly turn into a pain in the behoochie.

What about...

...something akin to the "forum brew" thing that seems to have happened in the past? So a group of n00b AG brewers, maybe with the help of a couple of old-hands, work up a recipe, one of the group sorts out the bulk and distribution and we all brew the same beer and learn from each other?

...or does that make me a soppy t**t? ;)

unclepumble said:
1/ thethrifyshopper already do this so sorry to urinate on your bonfire but you have not found a niche.
2/ Most people want hops in 100g packs, because this means they get them very fresh, if you are offering to send out 20-50g of a hop out to someone, chances are those hops have come out of a bag that has been open a while, therefore those hops will be oxidized & not top quality.
3/ why would you consider selling at cost, you must be adding a margin, or its not worth your while? Therefore if you are adding a margin, even if it is tiny, don't try to pull the wool over peoples eyes, (you wont last 5 minutes in business if you do), be honest & state you will offer the best prices etc, rather than infer that "you will spend a vast amount of time per day weighing out small amounts, of goods from large amounts, buy packaging materials in bulk to put the goods in, take the said goods to the post office etc for free etc etc etc".
4/ If you do admit that you will be putting a small margin on your goods, then please also note that your post is advertising.
If you want to advertise on this site it needs to be done via one of the prefered methods and after consultation with a member of the admin team, we offer decent rates for banner ads, therefore please ask, before posting about your services.

Regards

UP
You in a bad mood Unc? :hmm:

BB :?

Oh silly me, There I was trying to help fellow brewers out, do someone a favour, out of kindness and apparently im a idiot. That will teach me.
Why on earth have some people jumped to the wrong conclusion that Im trying to make money. Can you not get the concept of helping people.

"I dont work for free"...niether do I, brewing beer is a hobby not work.

If you take the time to read my post I said I wll do this at cost.

Today I have learnt another lesson in life....UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO HELP PEOPLE.

Im not going to let certain people get to me and the offer still stands.
I will put together your own recipe (AT COST) all you have to do is pay P+P (Ill even send a reciept for the postage)
Hope this helps someone out.
Johnnyboy

johnnyboy1965 said:
Oh silly me, There I was trying to help fellow brewers out, do someone a favour, out of kindness and apparently im a idiot.
I apologise and retract, but maybe you should reconsider your own wording.

Finding a niche in the market will invariably be construed as spotting or searching for an as-yet untapped business opportunity, from which you may then profit.

If this is a genuine, no-strings offer, then go forth and spread the word about the Dark Side :twisted: :thumb:

I'm always ending up with odd half packets of ingredients which sit around for ages before either being used when they are way past their best, or get chucked out. I recently threw out half a pack of torrefied wheat that was about 4years old....

So I think this is a good idea & can really see how this sort of service would be an advantage, so long as freshness of ingredients could be ensured.

This reminds me a bit of the BrewmastersWarehouse with their Brewbuilder feature. I suspect they must have a large number of customer with fast stock turnover to be able to guarantee fresh ingredients.

I'm sure people who are new to all grain would be interested in getting just the ingredients they need for a good brew without the hassle of worrying about getting the recipe right & ording the right stuff.

Good to see you giving something back to the communitee Johnny :thumb:

johnnyboy1965 said:
I will put together your own recipe (AT COST) all you have to do is pay P+P (Ill even send a reciept for the postage)
Johnnyboy

You know what? I'll probably take you up on that at some point... (once I find that effing huge pot!).

My only concern is you having to service loads of these types of request and you getting p****d off with it in the end. Which is why I suggested a more collaborative "make a recipe out of a full sack and distribute it all" sort of approach.

Anyway its a big :thumb: from me and I'll PM you in a few months once I'm set for BIABing.

C

It might also work quite well if you get a group of people on the forum involved in doing more speciality brews which use small amounts of obscure ingredients that you dont need a large bag of. This would also mean that you'd get several forum members brewing the same recipe which would be interesting for comparisons etc.

johnnyboy1965 said:
Oh silly me, There I was trying to help fellow brewers out, do someone a favour, out of kindness and apparently im a idiot. That will teach me.
Why on earth have some people jumped to the wrong conclusion that Im trying to make money. Can you not get the concept of helping people.

"I dont work for free"...niether do I, brewing beer is a hobby not work.

If you take the time to read my post I said I wll do this at cost.

Today I have learnt another lesson in life....UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO HELP PEOPLE.

Johnnyboy

If I seem Harsh, I am sorry, I have been because I have yet to see a free Lunch.
You say you are offering to do this at cost. OK devils advocate.

Lets see what the cost is please give me a quote on here for the following Ingredients Flicks through GW book

Timothy Taylors Landlord
3670g pale malt (golden promise please)
195g crystal malt
31g black malt
42g goldings
14g styrian goldings
1/2 protofloc tablet (don't need a full one)
P&P to Cheshire

Cheers

UP

The total ingredients work out to £5.41 (Ive thrown in a whole Protofloc tablet)
Ill give you a breakdown if you require.
Do you require yeast?
Ive no idea how much P+P will be until its boxe, but Ill send you the reciept

calumscott said:
johnnyboy1965 said:
Johnnyboy

You know what? I'll probably take you up on that at some point... (once I find that effing huge pot!).

My only concern is you having to service loads of these types of request and you getting p****d off with it in the end. Which is why I suggested a more collaborative "make a recipe out of a full sack and distribute it all" sort of approach.

Anyway its a big :thumb: from me and I'll PM you in a few months once I'm set for BIABing.

Nisbits is the best place for large pots. Secondhand ones are rarley available as no one throws out a perfectly good pot. If you decide to go with Nisbits let me know as I get a 25% discount, but you will have to collect from Solihull.
HTH Johnnyboy

C

johnnyboy1965 said:
The total ingredients work out to £5.41 (Ive thrown in a whole Protofloc tablet)
Ill give you a breakdown if you require.
Do you require yeast?
Ive no idea how much P+P will be until its boxe, but Ill send you the reciept

Wow that's cheap !
Bet royal mail will sting you on postage though it it will still work out cheaper than kits
How much will those quantities make ?

Good price that Johnny but don't be a busy fool, :eek: it's great helping people out but you'll be doing things that make people money for nothing!!
You'll be better off trying to form a buying syndicate within a set radius around your area.. :thumb:

BB

Back