I want a Wood Burning Pizza/ Bread Oven in my garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built three pizza ovens now, and pretty much every house around here has one. You can get kits for €300 with form the inside dome to the right shape for them to work. If the dome is too concave or too flat, then the oven won't work properly, so the whole "just make a dome of sand, then cover it with cob" is an over-simplification. Also, out of the 20-odd cob ovens I know of, none have lasted more than 18 months. They crack and fall to bits too easily.

If you want to build one from scratch (i.e. without using a kit) you can build in refectory blocks, or pietra calcare (which I think might be limestone in English.) If you go down this route, however, you should be aware that you have to build the first layer without mortar, so be prepared for a lot of head scratching and sleepless nights trying to figure out the angles to cut each individual stone at.

The old world alternative is possibly the best. Use broken terracotta (roof tiles, plant pots, etc..) and hydrated lime as mortar.

Yes thats what I want. Actually I want a bread oven rather than a pizza oven, so a barrel vault is probably what I want.

Just a pipe dream though.

CarafeKid said:
Mine is built into the back wall of my kitchen...

59531_1589651706772_8329029_n.jpg

They are well worth the effort for the roast potatoes alone, never mind the pizze, bread, roast meats, etc..

That's just awesome and I don't mean the modern, watered down version of the word. I'm genuinely in awe.

BackToBasics said:
CarafeKid said:
Mine is built into the back wall of my kitchen...

59531_1589651706772_8329029_n.jpg

They are well worth the effort for the roast potatoes alone, never mind the pizze, bread, roast meats, etc..

That's just awesome and I don't mean the modern, watered down version of the word. I'm genuinely in awe.

Thanks, although I can't claim credit for the oven or the mural, just the fire. :-)

Well the download link came through pretty quickly along with a nice covering letter with lots of links.

I haven't study it as it's too hot to be indoors.

I've been debating doing a stone one, stone salvage like, so say thats a middle ground for cost vs durablity.

ive been very tempted to get a pizza oven for some time, well truth be told I would love to build a great big brick oven outside, sadly as my garden is pretty small it isn't going to happen until I buy a bigger house lol.

this got me thinking, how cheap would it be to build a small oven compared to buying one (its only me the wife and our 2 year old so it really would be a small one)

I cam across http://www.bernitopizzaovens.co.uk/pizzaovens.php#one which looks about perfect, so the question is do you think I could build one myself cheaper or just buy one.

Almost certainly going to be cheaper than these, and probably better, especially if you can get bits and pieces for nothing.

Reference Felafeal's shed thread.

I'd be keen to follow your thread.

Good luck

If I were you and wanted the pizza oven then yes I would definitely try building my own its got to work out a lot cheaper than the one you put the link on
I am no expert in building ovens But I myself would consider making a king of wooden arch-former and get some chicken wire and some ballast and cement and you could then fabricate the main body of the oven using the wire as a re-enforcing you could then coat that in clay that kind of thing
Does that help spark any ideas?
;) :cheers:

It's called a pizza oven but you can cook anything in them really.
I'm sort of contemplating making one but I'm thinking I would only mess it up as I'm pretty poor at DIY.

You can do bread in them slow roasted meats casseroles, dry fruit and veg when they get cooler. I want one for bread but then be able to put a casserole in for later in the day.

But its a pipe dream my garden isn't big enough and no chance of moving :( :( so it will just have to stay in my head along with the veg patch, and six pack :lol: :lol:

sam.k said:
It's called a pizza oven but you can cook anything in them really.

They are also known as Pompeii ovens.
This yields a lot of search results ;)

After a lot of reading it would seem I could make a small one from sand and clay...

Worth a punt if its cheap/free.

i looked into it, and to be honest, the cost of it, and the burnin of the materials to cook, in my opinion is not worth it, i will stick with either pizza's delivered or the lovely frozen ones from Aldi.

Don't get me wrong, am sure someone eats enough to make use of these things, but, giving the **** weather we seem to be having over here, i wouldn't be able to use it much!! lol

Have you seen those pizza kits you can get made by Napolina? , we have used them a good few times, and they aren't bad at all to be honest.

Make your pipe dream grays, still trying to think what mine will be after the shed is completed!!!

falafael said:
Make your pipe dream grays, still trying to think what mine will be after the shed is completed!!!

A wood burning oven :whistle: :whistle:

A lean too at the side of the house, and not with pallets, just somewhere where i can store a freezer and feed the animals outside in!!!

Don't eat a great deal of pizza nowadays, moving into salads and english food! Corned beef ash anyone..........

Back