Ideas please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some grains that need using up, so larger malt for the base, i need to use up amber, crystal 400, biscuit, and roasted barley, yeast is midland or atlantic all thoughts welcome

I'll always champion the American Brown Ale. It's the centrist of beers, not too sweet, not too bitter, not bland, not in your face, a bit hoppy, a bit roasty, a bit malty.
Really? I've never fancied it. Never tasted it, either, so it's time I faced up to this prejudice. Can you recommend a recipe?
If it's anything like Newcastle Brown, though, or Sam Smiff's offering, I'll give it a miss. Ta.

Really? I've never fancied it. Never tasted it, either, so it's time I faced up to this prejudice. Can you recommend a recipe?
If it's anything like Newcastle Brown, though, or Sam Smiff's offering, I'll give it a miss. Ta.

More malt, more hops. American Brown infinitely better.

Rod, you've been on here long enough, just scoop in some malt, slap some hops in during the boil & see what happens.
No need to be tied to a particular style.
There are many who say their user upper brews were amongst the best they have made, and it's a shame they didn't write down the exact formula as they didn't expect it to turn out so good.

This was a big success for me years ago, and i've repeated it and tweaked it - and others have reported back very positively too. Nothing whatsoever like the browns you mention. I saw recently that Kernel does a Centennial Brown now that is very highly rated on ratebeer.com It's a combination of ingredients that works really well IMO. But other hops too - Cascade and Willamette are a very suitable combo, or on their own.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/centennial-brown-ale.53514/

My first thought was Wildcat - recipe on the cml website, could use Atlantic.

That much roast barley would take a while to use, Gordon Strong has an imperial stout with 9% in which is the most I’ve seen.

Try a Mild Rod a not brewed much style but very nice and you can make it super sessional.
Ps as Jof has said it does not have to be tied exactly to BJCP guide as I only use it as a base to work from in fact I do not think I have brewed a beer that fits any of their guidelines exactly athumb..

Latest posts

Back