If you don't have a polish shop nearby, just to make you jealous

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Next time, I'll take a piccy of the aisle, there must be 20 different syrups, all loaded with sugar and ideal for cider making (I use it to batch prime/flavour prior to bottling) !

My polish isn't very good, so I've no idea what some of them were, the three I bought the other day are pretty obvious though !

The Blackcurrant one on the left has the lowest sugar content, only 62g per 100ml, the other two are > 80g !

Polish syrups for cider priming.jpg

How much would you use per 40 pint batch, and would you boil it before adding to the A/J and for how long ?. i'm kinda guessing you'd be aiming at the same amount per pint as if you was making a pint of squash up ?, so maybe a bottle and a half to 2 bottles ?......

How much would you use per 40 pint batch, and would you boil it before adding to the A/J and for how long ?. i'm kinda guessing you'd be aiming at the same amount per pint as if you was making a pint of squash up ?, so maybe a bottle and a half to 2 bottles ?......

It doesn't need boiled, there's no artificials in this stuff (but check the labels if you use others) I like it pretty fizzy, but if you went for say about 6g of priming sugar per bottle, that would be 240g of sugar you need

so, if the blackcurrant syrup has 62g per 100ml, and the bottle is 440ml, then a whole bottle is 62 x 4.4 = 272g of sugar

If you want just 240g of sugar, then it'll be 240/272 * 440 = 388 (ml) to put in for priming (or slap the whole lot in, as I did with the blackcurrant one)

The berry syrups are much more sugary, but the calcs above will apple for those too, shout if I'm not making sense (known to happen !)

Yes I am pretty jealous Roddy. For a couple of weeks after first reading about the syrup you use I was wandering into various food shops and leaving disappointed.
Then I came across this.
Cascade-web.jpg

Made in Australia. I bought the raspberry one. At first I couldn't work out why there wasn't much sugar in it. Then realised the label was for when it was diluted. 100 ml is 5 parts water, 1 part syrup=10.2grams of sugar. So that works out at about 61 grams of sugar - 100ml undiluted..... I think. It's too long since I had to do this kind of maths:doh:. I'm actually pretty annoyed with myself I can't just work it out.
It does have preservatives in it too. http://www.cascadedrinks.com.au/products.html

nice find Pete, looks like it just needs a good boil (15 mins or so) before cooling and using

I got to the same sugar content as you doing it a slightly different way (although I don't know what the 250ml 'serving size' on the label was all about..

Taking the bottle volume (750ml) divided by 18 servings gets you the proper serving size (41.66ml), then scale up the sugar to 100ml

eg
750÷18 = 41.66
(26÷41.66) × 100 = 62.4

too early in the morning for this s**t mate !!

I was thinking I'd have to give it a bit of a boil. I just can't seem to find anything preservative free.
But there's no way of really knowing the exact sugar content after a boil is there? I would have thought the sugar level would go up?

here's a tesco link to the stuff you use showing the sugar content.... http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=263204408

Been into the polski skleep many times. But mainly for cheap foods and cheap strong beer. Never glanced twice at this stuff. But now I've got some.

Im in Birmingham, large polish populous and God bless 'em!

Like a few of you, first time I just went with the pictures, especially when the staff are looking at you cause your not polish. Lol.

Buy the venison kobanos if your place sells em. They're awesome!

IMAG1820.jpg

So here in France we have many different types of "sirop" which most children drink as a mix to water.
These look very similar to the bottles shown in the posts above. However we also have a rather large variety of "Crème de ..." which are usually added to sparkling wines as an aperitif, ie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kir_Royal

Am I right in guessing that the non alcoholic versions are better for "priming"?

I would guess so, but all depends on the sugar content... alcoholic ones must be lighter in sugar I would have thought

I have used the blackcurrant as an ingredient in red wine recipes. The flavour is very powerful, so you don't need much. You could make a gallon of pale red wine using just 1 x 240 ml bottle and 800 g of sugar, using some apple juice instead of water to improve the body and acid balance.

There is black bottle, a porter with red label at my local, plus a honey beer. Will have to collect up some and take pics.

They have a few different beers and loads of these syrups.

Might add two bottles to a demi with Apple juice later ;-)

Latest posts

Back