I'm a silly chap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

For now I'm splitting my 5 gallon kits over 2 fermenters and I've stupidly severely maimed the yeast in one fermenter. Only found out once I racked the two back into a clean f/v to degas and stabilise. I checked the gravity, 1.010 and thought, ah! Bit high for a dry red to finish that. So I left it for another couple of days but no movement so pitched another yeast, thinking afterwards that I really should have made a starter. Another couple of days and still nothing.
I've ordered some restart yeast in an attempt to salvage the kit, so...............
How long can I get away with leaving it before it turns? Fingers crossed the restart stuff should turn up within 7 days. Since pitching the extra yeast I've had the lid open 3 or 4 times. What's the chance I'll get away with it?

Cheers. Tom

There's a good bit of alcohol in there I assume so that will hopefully keep some of the nasties away, plus it's been cooler which should help.
Hope all works out OK.

Fingers crossed the restart yeast (when it comes) will do the job but until then I'll be leaving the lid clipped firmly closed.
Can't believe I didn't check the temp before I pitched the yeast. One bucket was still 26c after 24 hours and the other was 28 aheadbutt Basic schoolboy error, will be more careful in future

Cheers. Tom

Well I'm not out of the woods yet but the restart yeast has got things going again. Just checked how things are moving, it's down to 1.003 now so I'll give it another week before checking again. Looks like it'll be ok, no strange smells and only a couple of patches of tiny bubbles on the surface no obvious sign of an infection athumb..

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back