Counterflow chillers. How long do you leave it after the boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After many many years using an inversion chiller, I moved to a CFC with the grainfather purchase a couple of years ago.

For those who use CFCs, how long do you wait after the end of the boil before transferring/cooling your wort (when not deliberately doing a hop stand)?

I used to chill immediately, but at this point there is still a bunch of hot break floating around due to residual convection currents that won't get filtered out during the transfer. How long do you leave it to settle (if at all) before transferring?
I have a Grainfather. I wait until all the visible proteins and other stuff e,g the hot break, is no longer visible. Takes a few minutes no more than ten. Quicker if you use protofloc or Irish moss. I tend to sterilize the CFC by circulating the hot wort through it for a few minutes straight after the boil has finished then waiting for the hot break to fall out of suspension. Then I cool as I transfer to the fermenter

Cfc, whirlpool trubtrapper with a stand to settle at 30c before transfer via CFC to fermenter. Cold break does make it to the fermenter but not much.
IMG_20230625_200942.jpg

Here's the pic. I attached a couple of bits on 9.5 pipe to it, to make the syphon hose fit.

The fuel filter is anodised aluminium which is considered food safe. The scrubby is stainless steel. Some of them say they are, and will rust. Be careful.

Attachments

• 20230627_085325.jpg
    20230627_085325.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, looks good.
I am thinking of trying this one: 8mm Alloy Inline Fuel Filter See Through Glass CNC Machined Silver Motorsport Offroad https://amzn.eu/d/1kJ5xsS
The pick up pipe in my Grainfather conical FV is good but occasionally chunks of yeast get through if it's a larger brew, or hop particles if it's a heavily dry-hopped batch.

At the brewery where I work, we skim the foam off just before the boil starts. the copper empties from the bottom through slotted plates so the hops settle to form a filter bed which filters out most of the remaining hot-break. We have an in-line filter just upstream of a plate heat exchanger which traps hop particles and remaining hot break to try to protect the heat exchanger from clogging. The big difference between a 17 barrel batch and a home brew batch is the transfer time (11/2-2hrs vs 15-30mins) so the hops have time to settle out post-boil. if we don’t skim, the hot break tends to clog up the hop-bed resulting in slower transfer time and making the copper harder to clean afterwards.
That’s interesting. I’ve often throughly that even with small batch brewing maybe throttling the pump and transferring more slowly might help as it would prevent the suction effect and give things a bit more time to settle. I often wonder if the pump ‘sucking’ impairs the effectiveness of the false bottom.

Back