Immersion heaters as boilers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy

Reaction score
I was discussing my home brewing the other day with a friend and saying how I'd like to move to all grain, but the equipment requirements were high. I was explaining what I'd seen on various how-to posts on here, and he asked why couldn't I use an immersion heater in a hot water tank as a boiler, after all they are made of copper and that's what was traditionally used for beer making. I couldn't answer that, so I thought I'd ask here :)
Ta

Thats what I use. I was a bit bothered about draining down and the element was in the top, so I turned it upside down to solve both problem and use it as a bucket boiler, after fitting an extra element. The only thing is I need to use 40 litres of water minimum and can't reheat without topping up to 40 litres.
Hold on a minute a picture is worth a thousand words

my build

How do you get around the problem that the thermostats don't go above ~70-80 degrees?

Take the thermostat out :roll:
:)
Presumably you have never seen inside an immersion cover Tim ? A stat is a "switch" It can be unwired and simply slid from its tube. ;)
In this state if the boiler is left unattended it could boil and evaporate water away to expose the elements, not sure what would happen then, not good though. :? :cry:
Best not to tamper with potentially lethal 240v if you don't know exactly what you are doing. :( ;)

Should have seen that!

Not even that expensive, certainly cheaper than a 3kw element. Not as compact though I suppose.

Back