Immersion Heaters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky Barberan

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for letting me join, I used to make wine in demi's 30 years ago thinking of buying a starter kit to do 30 bottles 23 litres I've never used an immersion heater but are they expensive to run it's not a cold house it's about 20c in the house at the moment during the day think the wine needs to be about 25c during fermentation it'll be in the boiler cupboard but heating won't be on much now the elements cut off once temperature is reached then cut in again when it drops.

Welcome to the forum.
cheers:

I use a solid heat panel like the blue one below in winter and if i remember right its rated at 35w so cheap to run, once the temperature gets above 20c (as it is in my kitchen now) i dont bother and have never had a wine fail.

Flexible heat pads are much cheaper and are also inexpensive to run - Brew2Bottle 25ltr Home Brew Heat Pad

This heater pad is permanently on and gives off a constant warm heat so it is important that regular checks should always be made to ensure that the correct temperature is being maintained. The heat pad is designed to operate at an ambient heat temperature of 21c to 24c.

About the Heating Pad:

• Easy to use
  • Suitable for all Beer, Lager, Cider and Wine making
  • Complete with fitted mains UK plug
  • Double Insulated
  • 240V 50z 25Watt

1683571271136.png
1683571648209.png

Last edited:
I brew beer and also use a heat pad if my brew fridge is occupied. I don't bother with anything if brewing in the house. I think it would be ok indoors this time of year but if you was concerned you could always wrap it up with a coat,blanket or bubble wrap.

I've just started to use a water bath. Immersion heater stuck to the side of a builders trug, filled with approx 10 litres of water and stand the fermenter in there. My heater is only a 50w job (has a dial at the top to set temp, 18-26c ish) so uses next to no Lecky. I set mine to 20, seems to work well. Over the recent cold spell anyway

Cheers Tom

Like @soupdragon says, they use Bob all electricity.

I can keep 21lts of beer (in a builder's trub water bath) happy at 20°c in my garage, even in winter, using 2 25w immersion heaters. They aren't on all the time, they are controlled by an inkbird, but even if they needed to be, that's only 50 watts which is nothing : less than an old school 60w lightbulb

Hi, thank you for letting me join, I used to make wine in demi's 30 years ago thinking of buying a starter kit to do 30 bottles 23 litres I've never used an immersion heater but are they expensive to run it's not a cold house it's about 20c in the house at the moment during the day think the wine needs to be about 25c during fermentation it'll be in the boiler cupboard but heating won't be on much now the elements cut off once temperature is reached then cut in again when it drops.
Insulation is your friend.
Get a pad and an inkbird.
You must have a sleeping bag or old quilt or bubble wrap (not the best idea Tbh) kicking around.

Get the temp to 25c, sprinkle the yeast.
Forget the airlock, just crack the lid.

Cover and retire. Wine without solids does not need much attention.

I know temperature control is very important when brewing beer but i have found its not a big issue with wine making, i dont use a controller and my FV stays between 20c and 26c in winter when the room is below 20c.

You must have a sleeping bag or old quilt or bubble wrap (not the best idea Tbh) kicking around.

Thank you.

Thank you do you mean a electric heat pad I believe they are 35w a immersion heater is 100w.

Welcome to the forum.
cheers:

I use a solid heat panel like the blue one below in winter and if i remember right its rated at 35w so cheap to run, once the temperature gets above 20c (as it is in my kitchen now) i dont bother and have never had a wine fail.

Flexible heat pads are much cheaper and are also inexpensive to run - Brew2Bottle 25ltr Home Brew Heat Pad

This heater pad is permanently on and gives off a constant warm heat so it is important that regular checks should always be made to ensure that the correct temperature is being maintained. The heat pad is designed to operate at an ambient heat temperature of 21c to 24c.

About the Heating Pad:

• Easy to use
  • Suitable for all Beer, Lager, Cider and Wine making
  • Complete with fitted mains UK plug
  • Double Insulated
  • 240V 50z 25Watt

View attachment 85382View attachment 85383

According to today's electric costs a 1000w heater costs about 35 pence per hour to heat so this is 25w so that divided in to 1000 would come out about a penny an hour hope I got that right?

According to today's electric costs a 1000w heater costs about 35 pence per hour to heat so this is 25w so that divided in to 1000 would come out about a penny an hour hope I got that right?

I have a halogen electric room heater and these are the running costs from the website, as you can see the running cost of a 25w heat tray/pad is going to be less than £2 per brew if left on 24 hours a day.

400W = 6 pence per hour
800W = 12 pence per hour
1,200W = 18 pence per hour

A 35w heat pad is little more than a light bulb.

Depending of course on tarrif & brand of light bulb 😁

I know temperature control is very important when brewing beer but i have found its not a big issue with wine making, i dont use a controller and my FV stays between 20c and 26c in winter when the room is below 20c.

I will agree that temperature control is crucial for mashing.

But good temp control for wine making (from grape) is the difference between good wine and excellent wine.

I have a halogen electric room heater and these are the running costs from the website, as you can see the running cost of a 25w heat tray/pad is going to be less than £2 per brew if left on 24 hours a day.

400W = 6 pence per hour
800W = 12 pence per hour
I'm going to be making wine which takes a week.

400W = 6 pence per hour
800W = 12 pence per hour
I think their website is a few years out of date as those are below current economy 7 low rate.
(We are all electric so this is something I have been acutely aware for the past year)

Latest posts

Back