In Memorium, Ant Hayes, 1970-2011

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Jeff Renner said:
It is with profound sadness that I write that my friend, homebrewer Ant Hayes of Tonbridge, Kent, died Monday. I am simply stunned, and cannot imagine that he is gone.

Evidently, he was suffering from deep depression, and he took his own life. Our mutual friend in Johannesburg, Llewellyn van Rensburg, phoned me on Monday. I can't imagine what kind of torment he was enduring and finally felt he had to end. I should have suspected something was amiss, I suppose, since he hadn't emailed me since late December, despite a handful of emails from me. That was unlike him, but I got busy with my own life.

I posted a more detailed note on the AHA forum. It includes a several notes from S.A. and a beautiful eulogy from Llewellyn.

Ant and Llewellyn organized the first BJCP exam outside of North American in 2004 and they and the Wort Hog brewers flew me down to Johannesburg to administer the exam. We quickly became great friends.

A year later or so he relocated to the UK, where he again organized a BJCP program, as well as starting the London Amateur Brewers. He also judged at the GBBF.

He visited the US twice when he spoke at the AHA conferences in Cincinnati and Minneapolis. He and Llewellyn stayed with us before a few days before the Cincinnati conference, and he and I roomed together at both. My wife and I visited him and his family a few years back in the UK.

While my loss is nothing compared to that of those who knew him better and his family, I feel it deeply.
---
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
I received the above from Jeff this morning, Ant was an amazing guy full of passion for brewing, and formed two brew clubs that I know of here in the UK (North Hants and London Amateur Brewers) . I was lucky enough to meet him personally a couple of years ago, and we hit it off really well.

Ant will be really missed by the members of his brew clubs and most especially his family

Raise a glass with me please

Tony

:cheers: So sad; sounds like he was very influential and will be greatly missed. RIP.

Such a sad loss my thoughts go out to his family and friends hope we can all raise a glass of Hb to him in honour of the input he had to home brewing :cheers: :drink:

It is shocking to hear this news. My thoughts are with his family and friends and he is a character that will be missed within our hobby.

Ant came up to Edinburgh a few years ago to discuss the BJCP with ourSCB members. It was a very good meeting and although there was some resistance to the BJCP, Ant faced it all with good humour.

The poor guy. I feel especially sorry for him as although I never met him, whenever I hear of someone my age dying, it obviously touches me more, and reminds me just how precarious life can be...

RIP Ant.

I met Ant a few times at the LAB, he taught me how to judge beer and what tastes to look out for, I have been a beer bore ever since :whistle:.

RIP mate :drink:

Just thought I would add my comments

Ant was one of those people who had a definite passion for all things brewing. As already stated he was instrumental in bringing beer judging and the understanding of the brewing process to the UK

I met him on a couple of occassions and will remember his modest style and understanding for a novice brewer

As well as being instrumental in founding the London Amateur Brewers (LAB)

He also found the time to come down to my local Winemaking Society in Tonbridge and did a fine presentation on one of his particular favourite beers - Brown Ale

The LAB are meeting this Monday and will be raising a glass in his honour at eh Wenlock Arms - http://www.wenlock-arms.co.uk
on Monday evening I believe

Chris

That is so very sad, poor guy must have been in turmoil to do such a thing. RIP

Latest posts

Back