Indoor tomatoes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a poly, that looks after us in the summer, but the winter months can be sooo tomato-less. There is only soo much passata or soup one can eat.

So with LEDs ready, we are planning to grow a couple of tomato plants indoors.

Any advise is welcome... Even "stop it you burk"..

So with LEDs ready, we are planning to grow a couple of tomato plants indoors
You're using the LEDs as an artificial sun? I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I have no idea know how well plants sell photosynthesise under the small set distinct frequencies that LEDs produce instead of the broad range of frequencies present in natural light.

What are you planning to grow?

Up here they say you can grow any 90 day tomatoes outside (Gardeners Delight, Tigera, Yellow Pear, Black Cherry). I've not had much success out doors. These do tend to grow longer in the poly and are Cherry to small egg in size.

Going to need quite a bit of heat and at least 12 hrs light a day. You'll stress plants with all day light. Full Spectrum lights because you need both growing and fruit/ripening

I am going with the logic that some chaps fill houses with these things and grow cannabis... That bit must work.
I am only changing the seeds 🤣🤣
Don't grow them in the loft or you might get a knock at the door 🤣

I've grown tomatoes in the house in front of a patio door and they did well but in winter they sort of gave up

BTW - see strawberries mentioned..

If you plant runner strawberries in a grow bag now, and leave outside with some protection from winter rain (if no space in poly). Bring into poly end Jan / early feb, you'll get very early strawberries .

I'm lucky to have 4 greenhouses, 1 at home which can be heated 3 at my allotment all 8 by 6 feet. Ive tried to keep toms going never did to great I try to prolong the growing season by both having a late sowing late June and by taking side shoot cuttings these get me by till late October as the falling daylight hours take it's toll when the toms skins tend to go hard and growing stalls.
I take late side shoot cuttings again when the clocks go back late October stand them in the kitchen window in water. I pot them up in small pots just after Christmas when they have plenty of roots put them in the greenhouse at this point un heated and bring them back indoors at night unless the weather is above 5c these plants too give me a few side shoot cuttings and heat goes on start of February when I'm propagating my Dahlias on heated beds.
I have not used LED lights there are lots of the grow lights units out there and these prices seem to be a bit high for me , my early toms are ready early June It might be worth tryings a bush variety let it do its own thing as standard variety might grow to tall under the lights hope you do ok with them

Just contacted realseeds.co.uk

Ben suggested a cold climate 'house" variety.

Think I might give it a go.
On a side note their Grushovka Toms are stunning. I will have seeds again this season if anyone wants.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804-103513_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230804-103513_Brave.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
Just contacted realseeds.co.uk

Ben suggested a cold climate 'house" variety.

Think I might give it a go.
On a side note their Grushovka Toms are stunning. I will have seeds again this season if anyone wants.
Hi Mash
I will take some from you.
Have ordered some Urbikany to my brother in-law in the states will pick up Xmas.

Will send you a PM

Last edited:
Nash,

I did latah seeds this year. Nothing. They ate super early, and I wonder if I left it too late at the warm spring upset then. I wonder if Urbikany are any better.

I will pop out the next Tom, and get them over to you.

Latest posts

Back