Ingredients ordering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfingobo

Reaction score
Right, I have finished all of the base malts I ordered first time round!

question for you all, do you just order a load of base malt and then brew to what you have in stock, or do you plan every brew before you order?

last time I ordered 5kg of MO, pilsner and Vienna, plus a range of 1kg kilned malts to add in. I’m tempted to do similar this time but wanted to know what everyone else does!

When I finally get around to restarting my all grain brewing next month, I'll be making use of the forum sponsor Geterbrewed. I had a quick play on their custom recipe generator and the prices for my exact recipes were very competitive

Cheers. Tom

If you have the space order a 25kg bag of your preferred base malt then top up with speciality malts.
Currently I have at least 60kg of crushed and uncrushed as I have bought a mill but have the advantage of using both though would need to get my **** in gear and start using some.

question for you all, do you just order a load of base malt and then brew to what you have in stock, or do you plan every brew before you order?

last time I ordered 5kg of MO, pilsner and Vienna, plus a range of 1kg kilned malts to add in. I’m tempted to do similar this time but wanted to know what everyone else does!
I tend to plan, say 5 brews, ahead and order around them. I always seem to have pilsner/lager, Munich and wheat in stock

At the moment I’m thinking 5kg of extra pale ale, 5kg floor MO and 5kg Vienna. I think that covers me for most styles!

Should have mentioned I do 8L batches so typically a 2KG or less grain bill. Unfortunately I don’t really have room for a 25kg sack

I also like the get er brewed recipe generator. Firstly it stops me storing the least used malts for months before I get around to using them again, also all the malts for your brew come in one bag (already mixed and no weighing out), and the prices are great!

I order 3 brews worth at a time to mitigate postage costs

Whatever the size of bag of base malt you're ordering, plan ahead for the number of brews you'll get from it and order everything you'll need in one go, bearing in mind whatever you already have in stock. That's what I do. It stops the delivery charge from being too big a percentage of your costs. I know money isn't the only reason we home brew, but only an idiot incurs 2 or 3 delivery charges when 1 would do...

A third vote for geterbrewed here. You can order exactly what you want, it’s comes pre crushed with each recipe in a single bag. No weighing out is one less job to do on brew day, and there is very little, if any, price difference compared to ordering in bulk.

It's much, much cheaper for me to order from the UK than from a rip-off French supplier or even Brouwland, but its still £12 for 30 Kg so I never order less than the maximum weight. I have 25 Kg sacks of the main base malts, but it's important to store them correctly. I use the 60 litre, blue, food grade, plastic drums with a black lid and a metal hoop to properly seal the lid. Another factor used to be that full sacks were cheaper per kilo than smaller measures. However, Geterbrewed charges the same rate pro rata and is still one of the cheapest, so now I can mix and match.
Also, this years wheat harvest has been a disaster in the UK. I don't know if it's the same for barley, but if it is there are likely to be shortages and/or price hikes.

I always tell myself I'm just going to order base malts so I can use the speciality malts and hops that I already have... Then I end up ordering them anyway. Geterbrewed is definitely a good shout for prices.
Screenshot_20200825_110412_com.android.email.jpg
Screenshot_20200825_110431_com.android.email.jpg

My latest order.

Last edited:
I order what I need from Geterbrewed cos I never know what I'm brewing until I look at books etc. P&P can be off putting but besides hops which I freeze I don't have grain lying about as I like to use different malts.

My go to is Malt Miller,not the cheapest but it's the consistent fantastic service that keeps me going back.
My orders are based around 25kg of pale malt from which, depending on supplies,I knock up all sorts of delights!

I ordered a 25kg of minch from get er brewed and a load of 2kg bags of other stuff hops and yeast from cml enough for about 6 brews, off to scotland next week on the way back i pass very close to crafty maltsters so i will pick up a 25kg sack of the pops malt should keep me going for a while athumb..

My go to is Malt Miller,not the cheapest but it's the consistent fantastic service that keeps me going back.
My orders are based around 25kg of pale malt from which, depending on supplies,I knock up all sorts of delights!

Agree about the MM. They also stock a bigger variety than any other supplier. They also guarantee to crush you grain when you order it I would be wary of any supplier who only sell crushed grains as you don't know how long they have been in stock crushed which not good for malt. I would also recommend buying a grain mill. Uncrushed grains have a much longer shelf life and I have achieved a better efficiency since I started crushing my own.

Cheers all, I’ve gone for 5kg each of crisp clear ale, pale ale and Vienna, 3kg of crisp floor MO and 1kg of Chevallier. I’ve got plenty of dark and cara grains left over. Should see me right for the next ten or so brews!

A third vote for geterbrewed here. You can order exactly what you want, it’s comes pre crushed with each recipe in a single bag. No weighing out is one less job to do on brew day, and there is very little, if any, price difference compared to ordering in bulk.

geterbrewed lager kit

Crisp German Pilsner Beer Kit contains

• 1 x 3.980kg German Pilsner Malt
  • 1 x 0.120kg Vienna Malt
  • 1 x Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast - 11g
  • 1 x 9g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 8g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 5g Hersbrucker Hops
  • 1 x 20g Tettnanger Hops
so thats 4.1kg malt and 42g low cost hops + 1 pk dried yeast
Cost for this is £19.80 + delivery
No doubt buying like this has its plus points