Ingredients ordering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geterbrewed lager kit

Crisp German Pilsner Beer Kit contains

• 1 x 3.980kg German Pilsner Malt
  • 1 x 0.120kg Vienna Malt
  • 1 x Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast - 11g
  • 1 x 9g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 8g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 5g Hersbrucker Hops
  • 1 x 20g Tettnanger Hops
so thats 4.1kg malt and 42g low cost hops + 1 pk dried yeast
Cost for this is £19.80 + delivery
No doubt buying like this has its plus points
But price is definitely not one of them
Looks considerably more than bulk prices

To be fair if you were to buy one custom kit at a time it might be a bit prohibitive but if you were to get 2 or 3 at a time it's much better value.
The recipe I plugged in was a simple pale malt one, 4kg ish with a bit of crystal then around 80g of hops, 50/50 split between Citra and Cascade. No yeast and it came in at about £8.50 excluding delivery

Cheers. Tom

I buy 25Kg Base Malt locally and keep in an 60 litre blue airtight container, then I think ahead to what brews I would like to make and order all the other malts and also hops and adjuncts in one go. So far have used Geterbrewed for that.

I buy 25Kg Base Malt locally and keep in an 60 litre blue airtight container, then I think ahead to what brews I would like to make and order all the other malts and also hops and adjuncts in one go. So far have used Geterbrewed for that.
Exactly the same as I’ve done this time. I found GEB about 20% cheaper than MM for the speciality malts, hops and yeast

geterbrewed lager kit

Crisp German Pilsner Beer Kit contains

• 1 x 3.980kg German Pilsner Malt
  • 1 x 0.120kg Vienna Malt
  • 1 x Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast - 11g
  • 1 x 9g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 8g Magnum Hops
  • 1 x 5g Hersbrucker Hops
  • 1 x 20g Tettnanger Hops
so thats 4.1kg malt and 42g low cost hops + 1 pk dried yeast
Cost for this is £19.80 + delivery
No doubt buying like this has its plus points
But price is definitely not one of them
Looks considerably more than bulk prices

Agreed, but I use the recipe builder. You order your grain and hops by the gram.

Compare the cost of a bag of base malt to the cost of the base malt per gram on the recipe builder. Horses for courses and all that, but I also like the fact that it’s all pre crushed and weighed out too.

Last edited:
I keep stock and occasionally order some specific items if I come up with a brew and don’t have all the ingredients.

Right now I have 25Kg pale, 15Kg Pilsner, 15Kg Vienna, 10Kg Munich, and 10Kg Maris Otter. As these get low l order another 25Kg sack. I have about 20 specialty malts, similarly a couple of dozen hops, and half a dozen yeasts.

Most ingredients last for some time so I keep a good selection knowing it won’t go to waste. I also brew a lot.

To be fair if you were to buy one custom kit at a time it might be a bit prohibitive but if you were to get 2 or 3 at a time it's much better value.
The recipe I plugged in was a simple pale malt one, 4kg ish with a bit of crystal then around 80g of hops, 50/50 split between Citra and Cascade. No yeast and it came in at about £8.50 excluding delivery

Cheers. Tom
In terms of price it would be much better to order in bulk. I've just ordered 25kg of various malts, 2 liquid yeasts (£16 for both), 5 varieties of hops (3 50g, 2 100g), and 500g lactose for £64.55 including postage. Take out the expensive yeasts and that's a bargain.

In terms of price it would be much better to order in bulk. I've just ordered 25kg of various malts, 2 liquid yeasts (£16 for both), 5 varieties of hops (3 50g, 2 100g), and 500g lactose for £64.55 including postage. Take out the expensive yeasts and that's a bargain.

Before I temporarily suspended grain brewing I used to buy 25kg sacks, in preparation for restarting I found the custom builder and was pleasantly surprised to find the cost of 1kg of grain is 1/25th of a 25kg sack so that'll be my preferred method going forward.
A no brainer for me athumb..

Cheers. Tom

Before I temporarily suspended grain brewing I used to buy 25kg sacks, in preparation for restarting I found the custom builder and was pleasantly surprised to find the cost of 1kg of grain is 1/25th of a 25kg sack so that'll be my preferred method going forward.
A no brainer for me athumb..

Cheers. Tom
If you are referring to Geterbrewed custom builder, they are very good prices, but 1Kg Maris Otter is £1.06 so that is 26.50 for 25Kg, I get MO by the 25Kg sack for 20.90 so there is some saving, plus if you order in small batches you have to consider delivery costs

Latest posts

Back