Inkbird 308 probe question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1454

Reaction score
Hi

I have an Inkbird 308 wifi setup.
I decided to swap out the default smaller probe for the longer one that I could insert into the wort for more accurate measurements assuming at the time it would be a be a good idea to take this approach.

I'm finding using the longer probe that the swinging of temps can be too much and over shoots the set temp when heating or cooling. I never did use the short stock probe and attach it to the side of the FV.
I have the heating and cooling difference set to 0.5.

Before I open up the 308 and replace the long probe with the shorter one.
Should attaching the smaller probe to the side of the FV give me a more steady temp causing less activity from cooling and heating kicking in?

Anyone tried both these probes ?

Is this for mashing purposes?

If so, the ITC-308 isn't going to be able to maintain tempertuare that accurately and you'll need a PID controller instead. This might help:

That said, I've done a brew and maintained mash temp with a 308 and the beer turned out fine.

He says FV.

So if that is correct it should control both on the side and in your FV if it’s functioning and/or set up correctly.

You will get much better temp control with your probe in the liquid.

I would return it to standard and try again ruling out the new probe as the issue.

Tape the short probe to the side and cover with thick foam or some sort of insulation.

He says FV.

So if that is correct it should control both on the side and in your FV if it’s functioning and/or set up correctly.

You will get much better temp control with your probe in the liquid.

I would return it to standard and try again ruling out the new probe as the issue.

Yer it's the fermenter I was talking about.
Just now it cooled the wort to 18.4c from 19.8c.
Temp is set to 19c.

Just feels like the swing temp wise is quite allot.
Or is this normal ?

No it’s not normal, well it’s not for me anyway. My STC’s control within 0.1 with the cheap crappy NTC probe in the conicals thermowell.

Latest posts

Back