Innis & Gunn Rum Finish Extract Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkbenkbenk

Reaction score
I am attempting to make something along the lines of Innis & Gunn's Rum Finish beer, here's my recipe:

0.5kg Chocolate Malt Steeped 30mins
1.5kg Light Dry Malt Extract
1kg Amber Malt Extract Syrup

60mins 35g Styrian Golding 5.2%AA
15mins 20g Styrian Golding 5.2%AA

Boil Gravity 1.064
Original Gravity 1.040
Final Gravity 1.010
ABV 3.9%
IBU 21.1
SRM 28.1

Yeast - Mangrove Jacks M03 Newcastle Dark Ale

I also have a 30g pack of Youngs French Oak Chips, I intend to soak these in dark rum and add them to the fermenter.

Any advice on when it's best to add the Oak Chips? The packet says at the start of fermentation and to remove after 5-7 days, but I was thinking to add them after fermentation has stopped like I would when dry hopping.

Has anyone used Mangrove Jacks M03 yeast before, It's the first time I've tried them, can't find much info online, so not sure what to expect!

I would say after fermentation too, traditionally this stuff is aged after fermenting so that's just the fun way to go!

that's a lot of chocolate malt for any recipe and will have it stouty!

I've used the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast and it's great. the bucket smells like purple fruit after fermentation but settles out into a nice fruity rounded yeast after a few weeks. Here's the brewday;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43554

Thanks, I wish I'd seen your message before I got this underway! I'd have used less chocolate malt. I worked it out to end up at about 28 SRM, but it looks much much darker in the brew pot!

Do you think the chocolate malt will be overpowering?

Any suggestions on the type of rum, I'm thinking of using Morgans Spiced to get some vanilla rum flavours in there, or do you think this might clash?

Vanilla will be fine, it's often used in stout. 500g is a lot, check this SRM chart here;

SRM-Chart.png

28 is definitely in stout range. If you want to avoid that, you could potentially add another 500g or so of DME and liquor it back by maybe 3-4 litres? That might just put you in porter/brown ale range...

but I'm sure it will be great!

Thanks, for the info, although this differs from the colour chart I have referenced in the past:

colorguide.png
from the BJCP website.

I've been using a modified version of a spreadsheet I found online to calculate my recipes and resultant colours, so far it has seemed to tie up with this scale. I thought my recipe would come out a dark red.

Back