IPA at just above 1.010 - bottle it or add more yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliglynn

Reaction score
Brewing a Muntons IPA kit, has been fermenting for 8 days. Bubbles through airlock have died down now, but it's been just above 1.010 for the last couple of days. This is a little higher than specified in instructions. Do I...

A. Bottle it now, it'll be fine?

B. Be patient for a little longer?

C. Pitch in a little more yeast to ferment it a bit more?

D. Try some other trick I've not thought of?

Any advice appreciated - Thanks! :cheers:

Cussword said:
B, & D. Give it a stir, then be patient :)

sorry but i dont think giving it a stir is a good idea. If it is an IPA and is about 1010 after 8 days is it basically done. You could leave it a few days for clear up if you wish but stirring is pointless and an unneccessary risk. Best not risk possible oxidation and infection.

Thanks guys.

I've given it a swill-around in the fermenter (so there's less chance of infection than stirring) and will leave it one more day then bottle it. That kind-of follows both of your advice.

Unless you're in any particular rush to bottle and drink it, I'd leave it for a few days at fermenting temp. This will alllow the yeast to clean up some of those compunds they created in the fermentation and you should get a cleaner tasting end result. Especially with an IPA; you don't want too many funky flavours in there ;)

For the future though, you want to be carefully swirling too. There is a brown scum that sticks to the side of the fv from the krausen. You really dont want to wash that back into the beer. It can make your beer harsh and bitter. :sick:

Ok, well I don't think I swilled it around too harshly - hopefully I haven't botched things up too much. It's now been 9 days at fermenting temp. It's smelling good, so don't have much reason to think anything bad's happened to it.

Only reason I was a little concerned about SG being too high in the first place is cos I just got a new immersion heater for my fv and I think I had it up a little too high to begin with. Was worried I may have killed off some of the yeast.

I'm not in any particular rush to get it bottled - it's just every now and then I get a whinge off my better half cos there's a great big tub of beer taking up space in the kitchen... :nono:

oliglynn said:
I'm not in any particular rush to get it bottled - it's just every now and then I get a whinge off my better half cos there's a great big tub of beer taking up space in the kitchen... :nono:

A "yes dear" will sort that out, at least for a day anyway :lol:

oliglynn said:
Ok, well I don't think I swilled it around too harshly - hopefully I haven't botched things up too much. It's now been 9 days at fermenting temp. It's smelling good, so don't have much reason to think anything bad's happened to it.

Only reason I was a little concerned about SG being too high in the first place is cos I just got a new immersion heater for my fv and I think I had it up a little too high to begin with. Was worried I may have killed off some of the yeast.

I keep my beers at 24 c for the first 5 hours to ensure a good start to yeast activity or 22c if I have to leave it for 12-24 hours, then drop to 18-21 depending on the yeast and style. What was your OG? What temp did you have it at and for how long? I leave fermentation depending on my OG and the yeast. for example: If I was using nottingham yeast on a 1040 OG beer, I have been known to ferment for 5 days with 2 days cooling. This all depends on how fast the yeast get going which depends on a lot of factors. In this example, the beer is usually at FG after 3 days.
A 1050 beer will need longer

Original temperature unknown due to accidentally smashing my thermometer, and OG unknown due to me not measuring it. I was playing around with the thermostat on the immersion heater, and though I got it about right. Came back to check it after work the next day and it felt quite warm - i'd have said at least 24deg, and had been left like that for around 18hrs. :oops:

Turned it down after that, got a new thermometer and kept it at 19deg for the rest of the time (9 days now).

Ceejay said:
A "yes dear" will sort that out, at least for a day anyway :lol:

Already used that one! Hehe!

Latest posts

Back