IPA partial extract - Green king export clone help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themose

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My first post on here, so here goes.

After around 6-8 different extract kits Ive decided to try and start adding my own hops.
The kind of beer I'd like to try and get near to is Green King's IPA export.
I want to stick to a partial extract recipe if possible

I'll take a shot in the dark here and propose these ingredients below as a starting point. Please bare in mind though I'm new to this game and I'm asking for your advice and suggestions - especially for hop amounts and boiling times

1 Can of Coopers Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg
Challenger hops
First gold hops
Danstar Nottingham Beer Yeast
Muntons Beer Kit Enhancer

Am I going to be on or off the mark with this guys ? ? ?
Please let me know

Cant see any problems with that , though you might want to substitute the enhancer with spraymalt or another can instead . The enhancer , IIRC is just glucose and spraymalt anyway . You are less likely to get that old homebrew wine-y taste if you use the sugars from malt rather than from , well....sugar .

Thanks for that Shocker.

If I were to do 23l,
then how much spraymalt would you recommend 500g, 1kg?
Also Light spraymalt or dark?

hi themose, im still new to this too but when using dried malt instead of sugar i'm told to use g for g and i think its about 1kg of dried malt equals about 750 g of extract liquid malt . i think thats right its just what i've read etc .only use sugar for priming . Hope that helps :cheers: p.s dark or light is mainly about colour of beer ( i hope thats right too )

I had a look around and found this for the standard GK IPA....

40 pt Brew
Pale Malt 3500gm
Crystal Malt 350gm
Chocolat Malt 5 gms

Standard 90 Min mash
Boil time 75 minutes

Challenger 30 gm @ 75 min
First Gold 20 gm @ 90 min
First Gold 20 gm @ Flameout, steeped for 30 minutes
First Gold 10 gm Dry Hopping
Yeast. Wyeast 1968 London ESB

EBC 22
IBU 34
ABV 3.6%

It can be done as an Extract brew simply by substituting 2.200 kg of Dried Malt Extract (Extra Pale) for the Maris Otter Pale malt then following the Extract method shown here,

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/forum/topic/fir ... ity-advice. Post 3....unquote

Now I used to drink GKs IPA as a lad and the modern version is nothing like I remember but the export IS like the ale of old . Someone somewhere suggested using a coopers IPA kit as a base but on the coopers website (which is a mine of info) they tell us to never boil their kits and go on to describe what it looks like when you do and why its not good . So maybe not the best idea . GK themselves say that there is an element of Crystal malt in there so you may want to think about steeping a very little of that before the boil but go easy as it can impart a ferocious amount of colour ! They keep mum about the hops though which is really the big issue here ,soooo......

This thread on another forum may be of interest to you...

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/forum/topic/doe ... ipa-recipe

As far as spraymalt goes I would treat it as a kilo of dried = one tin of liquid....give or take a couple of hundred g....in this case anyway . :wha:

Now , you may want to play around a bit with your spraymalts to acheive some of the crystal malts colour if you dont want to get into steeping just yet...maybe 750 to 1000 of light and 250g of medium ? Or if you dont want to have to buy packs and split them and store leftovers maybe half and half light and medium . That may get you a darker fuller bodied drink though .....but not necessarily a bad thing .

You can pretty much take it as read that pale ales will be mainly made from pale malt , if you look at some All Grain recipes you will see what I mean ....the one above is a good example . Three/three and a half k of pale malt grain....you can sub that with two cans of extract or equivilents in dry . But it does show you that its mainly pale malt - and its not just the colour that the malts give , theres body , mouth feel , aroma , the whole lot . Maybe more so in grain but still a factor in extracts . Some of the recipes I have seen based on extracts use some soft brown sugar , so you may want to think about , say , 250g of that out of your 1k of dried and just go with the pale , relying on the dark sugar to impart some darkness .

I know I havent really given you any straight answers but I reckon its better you go with what you feel comfortable with and hopefully that has given you some options .

If you want more , I will try and look out an old recipe I have in a book later on....good luck mate ! :thumb:

Wow - Thank you for such a detailed reply Shocker.
I'll give this a go, post some pics and let you know how it turned out.

Once again thank you so much for this :D

Best wishes
Phil

Hey ! You are totally welcome , my friend ! :thumb:

Im sorry that I couldnt be more specific for you . Would you like me to look out that old recipe for you ?

:cheers:

shocksi

Back