IPA Recipe: Help Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrexhamTom

Reaction score
Hello! Im new to this forum and havent been brewing long. Would like some suggestions for an IPA recipe.

Sticking to extract for now with some dried hops; admiral, green bullet and EKG.

Any help would be welcome!

I was also going to recommend the Graham Wheeler book but I'm not sure there are that many recipes for IPA in it. It's a great place to start though.

If your tastes go beyond english ales buy "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. It covers the method and features recipes of the basic english styles but covers all styles of ale even lambics and fruit beers and is the first book I look at whenever I start planning a brew. It also teaches you how to put the recipes together yourself and what malt adds what flavour rather than being just a recipe book like Wheelers.

Hi,

I am new too I have just done an IPA and love it.

My pre hb drink of choice was Punk IPA, so a hoppy IPA was what I was after.

I used a Coopers IPA extract, added 500g of lightly hopped spray malt.

I followed the kit to the t and after 2 days i added a sanitised muslin bag with challenger hop pellets. OG was 1062 and FG was 1002, I have bottled it and primed it and tried one this weekend after 10 days or so in the bottle and it is lovely.

Hope that helps...

rossc0

Would you do an American style IPA (fruity, lots of late additions, ABV from 6% onwards, IBU from 60 onwards) or a British IPA (floral, dry-hopped, somewhat malty, ABV from ~5.2% onwards, IBU from around 45 onwards)?

As JKaranka suggests, the name IPA is applied to quite a wide range of beers from Greene King IPA at one end to Brewdog Punk somewhere near the other.

If you like the American style (eg Punk), I can recommend the Bombay IPA recipe. I imagine this could be readily done as an extract brew.

For me the quick rule of thumb for American IPA is that you should add 75% of your hops after turning off the boiler, 75% of your IBUs in the last 20 minutes of boiling, and still hit 75 IBU! :party:

Latest posts

Back