Irish moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
Hi guy's
I plan to brew an all grain Graham Wheeler mild recipe tomorrow (Gales Festival Mild) and it doesn't mention adding Irish Moss to the kettle in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I noticed that most of Graham Wheelers mild recipes do not add Irish Moss and wondered whether this was the norm?

Thanks in Anticpation :wha:

KB

My thoughts exactly...... I can't think why he wouldn'y include it. There are 16 mild recipes in his latest edition and he only includes the use of Irish Moss in 2 of them.

Because I have never made a mild before, I thought it may be something to do with brewing a mild?

Thanks guy's :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is very interesting.... I posted the same question on another brewing forum and the respnse was.....

Yeah, I leave it out of my milds, too. They're dark, so clarity isn't as important anyway, but I think some haziness enhances this style. I enjoy the faint mineral water, chalky, yeasty taste of a fresh dark mild, which Irish Moss would strip out. It can be tricky keeping a mild from tasting too thin and watery, so you wanna leave in as much body as possible.

What is your thoughts now guy's..... I am tempted to follow this recommendation, since I cannot believe the Graham would leave it out of 14 of 16 mild recipes?

:wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha:

At the moment..... I am falling on the side of leaveing it out. I bet there will be a few others that will agree with that assumption. :rofl:

I thought I would let you know how it went today..... I decided not to add the Irish Moss. The whole brew went well and hit all my targets. AG finished as expected at 1054. Really looking forward to taste it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow! Is it normal for mild to explode in the FV? It has started overflowing out of the air lock and I have used the same Nottingham yeast and stored FV in my beer at the same temperature as the previous 6 brews. Is it because more grain is used resulting in more sugars? Or could I have an infection as I did forget to place the lid on my boiler during the chilling process (about 30 minutes).

:wha:

well you learn something new everyday.
I must admit to not yet having brewed a Mild from G.Wheelers book...( give me time... :grin: )
and I had never noticed the absence of Irish Moss or Protofloc from the recipes.....
to be missing from so high a percentage of the recipes there must be some genuine reason for its omission...

However if I was brewing one tomorrow I would still probably add protofloc as I do not add any other finings to my brews and I think if may just be required.....
Unless anyone can tell me different of course.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Graham Wheeler says
Irish moss helps to precipitate haze-forming proteins out of the wort, but there is little benefit to be gained from using it when brewing dark beers.
I can see the logic of that. Most of his stout and porter recipes miss it out too.

It's cheap and the burden factor is close to none, so why not? I often add Irish moss even to wheat beers, it doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back