IPA - RO WAter Treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RO water on its own is not such a good thing adding DWB and AMS would definitely help but as to what quantities I can’t help really help you However a quick look at Brewfather suggests
3.3ml CRS
2.4g DWB for about 28L water
Expected profile of
Ca 22
Mg 0
Na1
Cl 29
SO4 55
Giving a Sulphate / Chloride ratio 1.9 Slightly dry or bitter
Don’t take this as gospel I’ve only been messing about with water profiles for a couple of years and I’m far from being an expert. There are plenty of people on here that know better than me and would be in a stronger position to help you

That’s the way I’ll be doing it with todays brew as I’ve finally managed to free some time up to get the Neck Oil clone kit brewed.

I’m looking at a 28ltr mash and sparge (14 & 14) which will give me 23 ltrs into the FV hopefully then maybe 18 to 19ltrs into the keg.

What quantities of DWB and AMS do i need to add?
What ever your Murphys report states.

RO water on its own is not such a good thing adding DWB and AMS would definitely help but as to what quantities I can’t help really help you However a quick look at Brewfather suggests
3.3ml CRS
2.4g DWB for about 28L water
Expected profile of
Ca 22
Mg 0
Na1
Cl 29
SO4 55
Giving a Sulphate / Chloride ratio 1.9 Slightly dry or bitter
Don’t take this as gospel I’ve only been messing about with water profiles for a couple of years and I’m far from being an expert. There are plenty of people on here that know better than me and would be in a stronger position to help you
So in addition to the DWB & AMS what other additions do i need? I’ve had to postpone my planned brew day today so have a week to get whatever water treatments i need before next weekend.

So in addition to the DWB & AMS what other additions do i need? I’ve had to postpone my planned brew day today so have a week to get whatever water treatments i need before next weekend.
I would suggest downloading Brewfather its free. Set up your equipment profile and then you can play around with your water profiles/additions etc.
That said I’m sure that there is a water calculator on this forum that might suit your needs

Below is what i could get for my area from the local water supplier, all measurements are average and in mg/l

CaCO3 Calcium Carbonate - 73.79
Chloride - 13.99
Alkalinity (HC03) - 48.17
Calcium - 24.47
Magnesium - 3.07
Sodium - 11.46
Sulphate - 44.04

I think the RO is confusing the issue.
Tell me again why you are not using tap and tweaking it a little?

Tbh your tap water isn't far off. Which begs the question why buy RO (at a premium price) when the tap is better? Or is there a problem you have experienced which is leading you to question the water?

I have NOT done the numbers, but I would think tap will need a couple of ml AMS before mash & 1/2 tsp DWP after boil.

I think the RO is confusing the issue.
Tell me again why you are not using tap and tweaking it a little?

Tbh your tap water isn't far off. Which begs the question why buy RO (at a premium price) when the tap is better? Or is there a problem you have experienced which is leading you to question the water?

I have NOT done the numbers, but I would think tap will need a couple of ml AMS before mash & 1/2 tsp DWP after boil.
The real reason is that i am inexperienced and i assumed that RO water was the better option, however after reading your comments I’ll ditch the RO and go with good old tap water and tweak it as suggested.

I’m waiting for my PH meter to arrive so will post the PH once i have it.

Righto. We will all give to a hand to get this sorted.

Just for the record, I used to be "tight" it seems I am now "environmentally friendly".. And you buying RO water when you had good tap was manning me twitch👍👍

Er, no, never even heard of it TBH.
Look guys, this is my very 1st foray into water treatment and as such i have to admit that I’m pretty clueless so forgive all the stupid questions. But, as kits and grains, hops, yeast etc, are all on the rise (price wise) i want to get it right and not ruin any brews due to water treatment, or lack of. If that makes sense?

I have my water profile for where i live, not sure that i understand it mind, but i have it. Additionally, i also have Whirfloc tablets, Citric Acid, Campden tablets, DWP & AMS and soon to arrive a PH meter. Is there a list of additives/chemicals, that you could suggest i have to hand? If I’m going to place an order i may as well get everything i need in one go.

Thanks in advance.

How are you measuring alkalinity? Have you already got a salifert alkalinity test kit?
Ok, so i have now taken delivery of both PH meter and Alkalinity test strips and shocked at the results to be honest.

PH reads 7.87 and that’s after several tries with different samples of tap water.

Alkalinity shows as high, can’t read the PPM’s as my eye’s ain’t what they used to be but it clearly states “high”.

And as mentioned previously, i have DWB and AMS, also now have Gypsum.

If you stick to one method (I favour AMS & DWB) the pH is OK for the moment.

What really is the hardness? Get as close as you can.

What did the water report say it was? With cross checking.

The Murphy's book will tell you the target for the style of beer.

Let's say its 80ppm.
So 250 - 80 = 170ppm adjustment for every litre.

The math is in other Murphy book, just scale it down. 1 hl = 100L.

Did I send you a spreadsheet as well?

Last edited:
Back