IPA - RO WAter Treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did the water report say it was? With cross checking.

The Murphy's book will tell you the target for the style of beer.

Let's say its 80ppm.
So 250 - 80 = 170ppm adjustment for every litre.

The math is in other Murphy book, just scale it down. 1 hl = 100L.

Did I send you a spreadsheet as well?
I got the spreadsheet thanks.

Northumbrian Water don’t give any PH value but Alkalinity is 48.08mg/l (average)

Next UP.. you need your calcium values off the water report and we can then just add the right ammount of DWB.
OK guys, i finally found the time to punch in the numbers/grist into Brewers Friend, added my water profile plus all the ingredients etc and the only addition i need to make is 11.84mg/l of AMS. This brings the PH down to 5.4 for the mash and 7.8 for the sparge water, does this sound about right?

I’m a complete novice with water treatment but 11.84 seems on the high side to me.

As always, any suggestions very welcome.

OK guys, i finally found the time to punch in the numbers/grist into Brewers Friend, added my water profile plus all the ingredients etc and the only addition i need to make is 11.84mg/l of AMS. This brings the PH down to 5.4 for the mash and 7.8 for the sparge water, does this sound about right?

I’m a complete novice with water treatment but 11.84 seems on the high side to me.

Correction, it’s actually a total of 11.84ml

Excellent news. Yup sounds right to me.

Use the syringe, just do 12ml.
For reference I am using 15ml.
You will see a difference in your beer.

Well done, this isn't one of the easier subjects in homebrew.

The sparge water pH is to high, when you start sparging the pH of the wort will rise.

I have seen an argument that it doesn't matter. You are adjusting for mash. When sparging, mash is complete?

Dunno. I don't even sparge anymore. For me the 1 or 2 points it gains were not worth the effort.

I have seen an argument that it doesn't matter. You are adjusting for mash. When sparging, mash is complete?

Dunno. I don't even sparge anymore. For me the 1 or 2 points it gains were not worth the effort.
Keeping the sparge water at a low pH will reduce the risk of drawing out tannins from the grain bed. 5.5 rule of thumb

Keeping the sparge water at a low pH will reduce the risk of drawing out tannins from the grain bed. 5.5 rule of thumb
I must admit, this confused me as i had stated on the BF calculator that i was treating the whole 29.2 ltrs of both Mash and Sparge water. What i normally do is heat up the whole volume of water then draw of what i need for spargin, in this case it’s 14.9ltrs and leave the remainder in the kettle (14.3ltrs) for the mash.

For clarity, my tap water is 7.87PH but adding 11.84ml of AMS brings everything in line except the sparge? See below.

3EB5D1C8-7834-4049-929E-34E15D0DAF88.png

I must admit, this confused me as i had stated on the BF calculator that i was treating the whole 29.2 ltrs of both Mash and Sparge water. What i normally do is heat up the whole volume of water then draw of what i need for spargin, in this case it’s 14.9ltrs and leave the remainder in the kettle (14.3ltrs) for the mash.

For clarity, my tap water is 7.87PH but adding 11.84ml of AMS brings everything in line except the sparge? See below.

View attachment 84215
Correction, I’d had the “add acid to mash water” box checked. Removing this now brings the mash water to 5.59 and the sparge water down to 3.2. Seems a bit odd as i would have thought they’d both be the same, however i can live with them numbers so won’t change anything now.

Yup.
Read the water report.
Add DWB as required.
I followed the numbers in the Murphy docs.

Heads up, this one might seem miniscule
OK guys, i just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for all the useful information and guidance. As i said at the beginning I’m a complete beginner on water chemistry, but with your help i now have an understanding which i can expand upon with future brew days.

As it turns out, my tap water isn’t that bad as a starting point and with a bit of tweaking i should be able to get it to where i want for IPA and NEIPA styles which is what i mainly brew, or plan to brew.

Also a big shout must go to “mash bag” who has gone the extra mile and sent me some very useful reading material as well as some very helpful advice which I’m slowly working my way through.

I plan to put it all into practice this coming weekend so fingers crossed And thanks again.

OK guys, i just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for all the useful information and guidance. As i said at the beginning I’m a complete beginner on water chemistry, but with your help i now have an understanding which i can expand upon with future brew days.

As it turns out, my tap water isn’t that bad as a starting point and with a bit of tweaking i should be able to get it to where i want for IPA and NEIPA styles which is what i mainly brew, or plan to brew.

Also a big shout must go to “mash bag” who has gone the extra mile and sent me some very useful reading material as well as some very helpful advice which I’m slowly working my way through.

I plan to put it all into practice this coming weekend so fingers crossed And thanks again.
Good luck 😉

Good luck 😉
OK mate so yesterday i finally managed to get a brew on and as already mentioned it was the Neck Oil Clone from KegThat.

Added the water, 29.20 litres to be divided between strike and sparge. Original PH came in at 6.7 so added 11ml of AMS and a quarter teaspoon of DWB, the PH then came in at 2.6 which i was surprised about TBH.

Anyway, i went ahead with the brew and even managed to hit the numbers which i was chuffed about, OG was 1.045 and bang on as per the recipe guidelines. It’s now sitting in the FV with the yeast pitched as of 14:00 yesterday, there’s signes of activity but it seems slow to get going. The yeast is Safale US-05, pitched at 21 degrees and held at 21 degrees so I’m expecting it to get going today.

There’s a dry hop addition of 100gms of Cascade on day 3, or at high krausen so maybe around Tuesday/Wednesday for dry hopping.

Everything went really smoothly for a change except the low PH and also i only managed to get 19ltrs into the FV.

OK mate so yesterday i finally managed to get a brew on and as already mentioned it was the Neck Oil Clone from KegThat.

Added the water, 29.20 litres to be divided between strike and sparge. Original PH came in at 6.7 so added 11ml of AMS and a quarter teaspoon of DWB, the PH then came in at 2.6 which i was surprised about TBH.

Anyway, i went ahead with the brew and even managed to hit the numbers which i was chuffed about, OG was 1.045 and bang on as per the recipe guidelines. It’s now sitting in the FV with the yeast pitched as of 14:00 yesterday, there’s signes of activity but it seems slow to get going. The yeast is Safale US-05, pitched at 21 degrees and held at 21 degrees so I’m expecting it to get going today.

There’s a dry hop addition of 100gms of Cascade on day 3, or at high krausen so maybe around Tuesday/Wednesday for dry hopping.

Everything went really smoothly for a change except the low PH and also i only managed to get 19ltrs into the FV.
Well done at least you managed a good brew day . What was your mash ph ? I personally don’t use a lot of CRS/AMS as I prefer to use Lactic acid 80% to bring the Ph down. Just a thought have you calibrated your PH meter ?

Well done at least you managed a good brew day . What was your mash ph ? I personally don’t use a lot of CRS/AMS as I prefer to use Lactic acid 80% to bring the Ph down. Just a thought have you calibrated your PH meter ?
I didn’t actually take a mash PH mate and no, i didn’t calibrate either but will for next weeks brew.

Alsop the yeast has started feeding and i now have a krausen building up so I’m happy now. Will do the dry hop around Wednesday then just let it ferment out until i get the target FG of 1.009 then into the keg for conditioning.

Yep make sure you calibrate the PH meter before your next brew. It’s the mash PH that we are really interested in I try to aim for 5.2 -5.4 but a I know there are others out there will disagree.
👍🏼

Latest posts

Back