Is 22 days too long?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman Harris

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the silly question, but....I have had a small batch of Mosaic IPA on the go now for 22 days (my first attempt at home brewing). It's only 4 litres so the scope for checking the gravity too much, so my plan was to wait until the airlock stopped bubbling and then check twice. The thing is it won't stop bubbling. I am still getting slow bubbling - once every 30 minutes or so. The temperature has been pretty consistently 20C. Is 22 days and counting excessive and a sign of something going wrong? Thanks.

It sounds fine. Some can take ages to finish though..I've had some kit brews take a month to hit fg. To save your brew you theoretically could sanitise your hydrometer in some Starsan or similar then float it in your beer to take a reading..but it does risk infection..but it's the only way to check for sure it's done. It can still bubble as c02 absorbed into the beer can be released.

It's not ideal but with a hectic family life I've had to leave brews for a couple of months before bottling with no noticeable side affects. (That I can tell) As long as it's sealed and you check your airlock doesn't go dry I can't see an issue. I've read scare stories about leaving it on trub developing off flavours but if it was such a risk I'd imagine bottle/cask conditioning would be a no no. As a precaution I move it somewhere cool/cold but I have no idea if that actually matters. I don't dry hop until a few days before I know i will definately bottle though.

Surely 'every half hour' is, effectively, stopped? In my experience, even an 'empty' demijohn and lock (with perhaps a drop of sterilised solution in the bottom) will 'plink' occasionally, presumably largely due to small temperature variations?

Thanks. I didn't think about the carbon dioxide coming out of solution. I think I may try and put it in bottles then. This is my first go, so I was thinking stopped meant stopped so I've been timing the bubbles and all sorts! Finger crossed it is drinkable!

Well it is in bottles now. I sneaked a taste and it I have to say its not bad. Hopefully the bottles don't blow up now!!

Bubbles that are longer between than every minute are signs of CO2 coming out of suspension, not of fermentation.
Wasn't aware of this so just hijacking this thread as I have encountered a similar thing with this brand. I have a St Peters Honey Porter that is currently in fv for 24 days with bubbles every 9 minutes. It was sitting at 1.010 for 3 days but has just gone down to 1.009 in the early hours of this morning. Now the question is do I leave it a bit longer or bottle up ?

Wasn't aware of this so just hijacking this thread as I have encountered a similar thing with this brand. I have a St Peters Honey Porter that is currently in fv for 24 days with bubbles every 9 minutes. It was sitting at 1.010 for 3 days but has just gone down to 1.009 in the early hours of this morning. Now the question is do I leave it a bit longer or bottle up ?

at that gravity I would say its done, could be a misread, as its a honey beer you dont want it to dry out too much

Latest posts

Back