Is a year in the bottle necessary for wine made from fruit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiller

Reaction score
I am about to move from the relative safety of Wine Kits and try to make wine from fruit and I have been trawling the web for recepies, of which there are many.

All of the recepies I have found seem to point to a few weeks of making then a note to leave the wine bottled for at least 12 months.

Obviously "wine matures" with the passage of time, but will the wine be undrinkable until the 12 months has passed?

Been used to Kits and their speediness I was wondering is the 12 months necessary? :hmm:

Depends on the fruit. Most 'country wines' are drinkable but not great almost immediately, they like a bit of time. The trick is to make enough to build up some stock.
A few are great right off the bat. Some aren't very nice at all for a few months. Almost all benefit from a least a few months age.

I was looking to try out a Plum wine from 3.5lbs of plums I was given.

Looks like patients is key then;

Thanks oldbloke :thumb:

Plum can take a long time to clear. Avoid boiling water on the skins, use pectolase, you may need finings. Mine has been drinkable but not great when young but improves quite rapidly, 2 or 3 months in bottle will make it quite nice, 6 will make it good.

I've found that even the kits usually improve after a few months - Especially reds.

Have you tried juice wines - again aging for 4-6 months is normally worth the wait but it can be drinkable fairly early on.

I've only been making wine for a couple of years but I am coming to the conclusion that you need to experiment.

I made an elderberry last year that the recipes say needs at least 2 years but It was beautiful after 6 months. I also made a rosehip. after 6 months I found it harsh, after a year much improved but I think another 6 months to a year will probably be needed.

I'd say, if you like to pick your own and can access the fruit, this is the cheapest and most fun way to go - enjoy the making and the tasting :drink:

Anybody who wants something that really can be drunk with no aging should check out the wine-from-fruit-teabags subculture.

I am not sure what is meant by "Juice Wine" am I right in thinking it is brewing up a wine using Fruit Juice bought in Cartons? Sounds like a good idea.

I have found the tea wine idea interesting and do have some fruit tea bags haning around at home.

I am at the verge of starting the Plum wine so I will update on my progress as and when. :cheers:

oldbloke said:
Anybody who wants something that really can be drunk with no aging should check out the wine-from-fruit-teabags subculture.
Totally agree with oldbloke :thumb: - The're actually better young in my experience.
I just finished a very berry T bag and its loveley. Some are not so good But the fruity ones fermented medium to sweet seem to do the trick

Chiller said:
I am not sure what is meant by "Juice Wine" am I right in thinking it is brewing up a wine using Fruit Juice bought in Cartons? Sounds like a good idea.

I have found the tea wine idea interesting and do have some fruit tea bags haning around at home.

I am at the verge of starting the Plum wine so I will update on my progress as and when. :cheers:

With the Plum Wine - I have made Damson and I add 1 litre of WGJ to the Gallon as I read that plum wine can be thin. Don't know what others think :wha:

A juice wine is generically known here as a WOW or WOW varient. Essentially, a WOW(Wurzels orange wine) 1ltr Orange Juice, One ltr of White Grape Juice T spoon Citric acid, Yeast and yeast nutrient. WOW varients are basically 1ltr carton of any Fruit Juice and 1Ltr of White or red Grape Juice. This makes 1 Gallon. Check the Threads for WOW as some are really worth it.

T Bag wines are great young. Try fruit T bags. AROUND 20 fruit Tbags make a gallon. See the recipes. Most add 1ltr of Grape juice to give them body.

Happy Brewing :hat:

Grand gris said:
A juice wine is generically known here as a WOW or WOW varient. Essentially, a WOW(Wurzels orange wine) 1ltr Orange Juice, One ltr of White Grape Juice T spoon Citric acid, Yeast and yeast nutrient. WOW varients are basically 1ltr carton of any Fruit Juice and 1Ltr of White or red Grape Juice. This makes 1 Gallon. Check the Threads for WOW as some are really worth it.

You only need to add the citric acid to a juice variant WOW, not to a conventional orange-based WOW. Orange juice already has plenty of acid, but many other fruit juices don't.

I have to say for a young WOW varient, there should one on here for pineapple. It ferments in around 2 weeks flat and is drinkable stright away. Yes, gets immeasurably better with age, but is perfectly drinkable out of the Demi :cheers:

wino2012 said:
I have to say for a young WOW varient, there should one on here for pineapple.

It's very lively I must say :shock: Don't do what I did, it needs a bit of headroom! mine forced it's way up through the airlock and over the floor. Mrs Pjam was really happy :evil:
Interesting, there's that much force in the rising CO2 all my sediment is at the top!

wino2012 said:
I have to say for a young WOW varient, there should one on here for pineapple. It ferments in around 2 weeks flat and is drinkable stright away. Yes, gets immeasurably better with age, but is perfectly drinkable out of the Demi :cheers:

Give it 2 months to mature in bulk though and it's one of the best wines I've even drunk!

Latest posts

Back