Is this beer worth trying to save?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Timothy Taylors clone back in January. When it came to bottling I bottled several bottles before realising I hadn't added sugar as I usually batch prime. SO added sugar for remaining volume and cracked on. I separated the non primed bottles to sort out another day and enjoyed the others. I've now got a keg setup and considering decanting the bottles into a keg and CO2 purge and carbonate. Seems simpler than opening all the bottles, adding sugar and recapping and waiting again for it to carbonate. Have the beers been lying around too long so not worth trying to rescue or just crack on and (hopefully) enjoy?

Thanks.

If you have enough of the improvement med bottles, I'd try one. If it tastes ok then empty the rest into the keg but to make sure bit to splash too much. Pressurise, vent, pressurise, ADHD serve. I'll bet it will be good so long as it's been kept well

Thanks. All been kept on top of my fridge in the kitchen so a nice stable 20 degree-is C temperature so hopefully all good there. I was going to purge a keg of CO2 before opening so hopefully most of the keg will remain CO2 and not mix too much with air, then use a funnel with a long silicone tube to gently pour into the keg and avoid splashing, then purge once decanted. Will give it a go and take a wee sip as I go to double check its not gone nasty then.

Slightly off the wall thought.... If you like beer-engine style low-carbed ales, try leaving a couple of the bottles for another month or two. I think it's very likely they will carbonate slightly, even without priming, and quite probably give you well matured beer more like a pub pint than a fizzy can

Latest posts

Back