Is this ready for the barrel yet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I tried a little, just a very small glass. It smells like Hobgoblin, tastes quite like an IPA at the moment. Certainly has a kick to it, but it needs more time to clear or condition or whatever it is. But so far, looking good.

You might want to move it somewhere cool for a week or two. It will help it clear and condition. Give it a week (or two) and try it again. Hopefully, you'll find the optimum time to condition. Keep up the "research" athumb..

How much cooler would be ok? I could try the garage, but not sure if that's too cool.

As I said, 10-12C works for me. A corner in your garage, away from the door should be ok. You can always wrap it up in a blanket or old sleeping bag if you're worried about it getting too cold.

Also, how much fill do I get from a CO2 bulb? Say, when it needs gassing again and the barrel is around half way or more, to keep it pressurised, how many bulbs are typically used during the service of one brew in a 40 pint barrel?

Garage well below 10, about 5, so a cold crash or whatever it's called is out of the question.

Also, how many CO2 bulbs would be typically needed to run a 40 pint barrel?

"Cold Crashing" usually refers to the process after fermentation. Fermentation is usually carried out at around 20C (ales) and when fermentation is finished you drop the temperature to 4C or less (cold crashing) for a few days and this sends any yeast to sleep and sediment etc falls to the bottom of the fermentation bucket so you can rack off clear beer. You're past that now and are conditioning your beer. Cooling does the same thing and helps clear the beer but also let's the beer develop. Conditioning usually takes at least 2 weeks I'd say.
As for gas usage. Something you'll have to suck it and see. Only add gas when the beer slows down when pouring. Avoid letting it glug as that is when air is being sucked into the barrel and can spoil your beer.

Latest posts

Back