iSpindel - digital WiFi hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so what formula have people calculated for use with their iSpindel?
Mine came out as : 0.00000154*tilt^3-0.0002083*tilt^2+0.0112925*tilt+0.8125704
using the sugar calibration method with a refractometer.
I used the Excel trend line set to 8 decimal places (very necessary set to 8) and the cubic law.
The curve generated by the formula matches the test values against the refractometer to 0.001 SG.
Also works well in the wort as fermentation progresses but can be effected by a vigorous fermentation.

I will probably (hopefully - if all the parts turn up) be able to provide my own formula, calculated in SG by the back end of this week.

I will be using the online formula calculator linked to above by pottsworth.

These are the Ebay from the UK items I have settled upon, apart from the V4 PCB which I have already been promised. These are not the cheapest source, but suggested to be a quicker delivery than the cheapest sourced from China...

Switch SS-12F23 - PCB mount Slide Switches SS & SK range Different types available (2 pack) | eBay - !!!WRONG!!!!

Charger - 5 x TP4056 Battery Protection LiPo Charger Module Board 5V Micro USB Parts TE420 607376624979 | eBay

BAT43 diode - 10 x BAT43 Small Signal Schottky Diode 30V 200mA | eBay

GYRO - GY-521 3 Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer Module MPU-6050 I2C ADC Pi Arduino | eBay

XL Petling - XL BIG PET Micro Geocaching container geocache cap Petling preform soda bottle | eBay

PCB pins - 40 Pins PCB Connectors Straight Angled Header Single Row Solder Strip Jumper | eBay

WeMOS - WeMos D1 Mini V3.0.0 clone ESP8226 4M Bytes wifi Development Board Module | eBay

Temp. Sensor - 2 x DS18B20 Digital Temperature Sensor Chip Dallas TO92 Raspberry Arduino | eBay

I have not bothered to order resistors, battery, or its holder, as those I am certain to have in stock.

Please note the switch listed above is the WRONG item. Its pin spacing is a fraction too wide for the PCB.

For now I inserted circuit board three pins, bent over at right angles, with a jumper to turn it on. I have it working in access point mode and can access the configuration page. My Iphone loads the page, as soon as I select the Ispindel AP. It's showing deg, temperature and battery voltage, the latter is spot on with my meter, so no adjustment needed.

I am still awaiting the PETling from Lithuania, so no chance of it swimming just yet.

In the top (when its floating) corner of the V4 PCB, the build instructions suggest that a couple of circuit pins be installed, it is marked RST. There is already a reset button built onto the WeBos sub pcb, are these pins just a duplicate please?

In the top (when its floating) corner of the V4 PCB, the build instructions suggest that a couple of circuit pins be installed, it is marked RST. There is already a reset button built onto the WeBos sub pcb, are these pins just a duplicate please?

Yes, the idea is you can bridge them with a screwdriver to reset / enter boot mode to prevent having to get the PCB out of the tube.

Just don't do what I did and install them bridged, as you’ll potentially loose 2 hours going through wiring diagrams and PCB images trying to work out why the thing isn’t working!

I seem to have got it configured to my wifi, or at least it will not save that config unless it succefully connects it seems. I set it to 30 seconds update, it flashes it blue LED every 30 seconds. I am not seeming to see it as an 'attached device' on my routers wifi, which is odd.

I set up an account with UBIDOTS, configured the Ispindel to send data to UBIDOTS, copied and tried to paste what I think is described as the 'token' into the Ispindel's token box, but it omits last character of the token from the box, because the token is so long. To be honest I am totally lost with trying to set up UBIDOTS, is there some sort of quick start guide to configure it with the Ispindel please?

I have now tried several IP scanners, to see what devices are connected on my network and I am unable to find one called ispindel or with its MAC. My LAN runs with IP's in the range 10.131.???.??? and I have never had a problem of devices not being able to connect to it, but does the ispindel support addresses in this range - anyone?

It should as it just gets an IP off the DHCP.
With the iSpindel in config mode (pressing reset a few times) in one of the config pages it tells you the IP it got designated and what network it connects to

Correction - it is after all showing up in the list of connected devices, but only its MAC, it isn't being allocated an IP for some reason.

It should as it just gets an IP off the DHCP.
With the iSpindel in config mode (pressing reset a few times) in one of the config pages it tells you the IP it got designated and what network it connects to

On the config page, it shows the name of my router's AP, but with a strike-out line through it. See above where I say it is now showing as a device, but only its MAC, it is not being allocated an IP.

Odd, to rule the IP range out without messing with your router, I'd maybe try setup a hotspot with a phone and try connect the ispindel to it.

Edit: or manually give it an IP

I have two wifi routers, both always on, the main one in the loft, which connects to the broadband, then a second one on the ground floor - this one is the one I have been struggling with, but it is only feet from the Ispindel. DHCP is handled by the loft router, turned off in the downstairs one.

Signal from Ispindel to the router in the loft is quite poor, but it does manage to connect and get issued an IP, when connecting to that.

On the config page, it shows the name of my router's AP, but with a strike-out line through it. See above where I say it is now showing as a device, but only its MAC, it is not being allocated an IP.

I get the strike through line too when in config, I always assumed that was just showing it wasn’t connected to that WiFi at that moment (being as its in hotspot).

The iSpindel only connects to your WiFi for a second or so to send the data packet, then immediately disconnects and goes back to sleep until the next transmission, this is how it makes the battery last 2 weeks (I think I saw that transmit mode uses something like 400x the power of deep sleep). This may be why you aren’t picking it up on your network.

I think there is a config guide on the iSpindel site - I will have a look

The iSpindel only connects to your WiFi for a second or so to send the data packet, then immediately disconnects and goes back to sleep until the next transmission, this is how it makes the battery last 2 weeks (I think I saw that transmit mode uses something like 400x the power of deep sleep). This may be why you aren’t picking it up on your network.

Thanks..

It was appearing and disappearing in the wifi list of my upstairs router, so maybe my downstairs router is a little different in that it needs to see it connected for much longer.

For most routers it'll only show up when it's active. Some routers have an "inactive devices" page that shows you the devices that have been connected and have been allocated an IP address, for example on my router I can see it through the app but not the web page.

Please note the switch listed above is the WRONG item. Its pin spacing is a fraction too wide for the PCB.

For now I inserted circuit board three pins, bent over at right angles, with a jumper to turn it on. I have it working in access point mode and can access the configuration page. My Iphone loads the page, as soon as I select the Ispindel AP. It's showing deg, temperature and battery voltage, the latter is spot on with my meter, so no adjustment needed.

I am still awaiting the PETling from Lithuania, so no chance of it swimming just yet.
@Harry Bloomfield I've got a packet of switches that fits the CherryPhilip and OpenSourceDistilling, more than happy to send you one (or more)?

Chris

Good morning guys I haven't been on here for quite a while due to other projects and not brewing for about a year. I've been sorting out my garage and came across a few pet bottles and ispindel pcbs which I'm happy to let go at cost price. I may have switches and a few other components too if anyone is interested.

@Harry Bloomfield I've got a packet of switches that fits the CherryPhilip and OpenSourceDistilling, more than happy to send you one (or more)?

Chris
Hi, not wanting to jump on the bandwagon... just ordered a 4.0 pcb and think I also have the wrong switch. Can I cheekily ask if it would be possible to have one of yours if you have any spares?
Many thanks
Alastair

Latest posts

Back