iSpindel - digital WiFi hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE....

I am seeing my iSpindel appear every 60 seconds in my main routers log in my loft, though I am actually connecting to my slave router on the ground floor. Obviously because it is such a transient connection, it doesn't appear as a connected device - the part which had me so confused yesterday.

I have now cut the diode on the WeBos, so was able to connect PUTTY to see what was going on, but I'm none the wiser. Here is the relevant part of the PUTTY output, which happens every 60 seconds. Does this suggest it is successfully connecting and sending the data please?

It is supposed to be connecting to the Ubidots website, the site seems to be suggesting that you just tell it I am using an iSpindel and it will do the rest. I have changed the 'token', for obvious reasons...

calling Ubidots
{"tilt":83.74638,"temperature":24.375,"battery":4.087591,"gravity":30.41856,"interval":60,"RSSI":-70}
Sender: Ubidots posting
POST /api/v1.6/devices/Ispindel?token=BBFF-BOVvWDe84RjfbUG8Ds???9???fFlIl HTTP/1.1
Host: things.ubidots.com
User-Agent: ESP8266
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 101

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 12:08:16 GMT
Content-Type: application/json
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: close
Allow: GET, POST, HEAD, OPTIONS
Vary: Origin, Cookie

d1
{"battery": [{"status_code": 201}], "gravity": [{"status_code": 201}], "interval": [{"status_code": 201}], "rssi": [{"status_code": 201}], "temperature": [{"status_code": 201}], "tilt": [{"status_code": 201}]}

Progress at last.......

All my own fault too :-(

The resolution of my laptop, plus the far too large layout of the Ubidots site, meant I could not see the drop downs to set it up to display the data. I do now have it working, my apologies for the grief.

Has anyone got a spare PET container they'd be happy to send me for a £ or 2?
I started building a kit from ebay using a generic circuitboard with no silk screen on (never again!) three burnt fingers later I've now sourced a v4.0 pcb but the PET container is too large for the smaller pcb.
Also is it possible to flash the wemos before I install it? at least I can get something done while I wait for the rest of the bits to arrive

Many thanks in advance
:-)

Good morning guys I haven't been on here for quite a while due to other projects and not brewing for about a year. I've been sorting out my garage and came across a few pet bottles and ispindel pcbs which I'm happy to let go at cost price. I may have switches and a few other components too if anyone is interested.
Hi, are your pet bottles the size for the 4.0 pcb, if so and if you have any left, please can you let me know how much you'd like for one.
Many thanks

Hi I have 3 pet bottles, 10 4.0 cherry Phillip boards, 20 battery holders, 9 switches and 9 temperature sensors.

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_204824.jpg
    IMG_20200520_204824.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 89
I've also found these in the garage. I believe it's the circuit board and smd components to build a neat heat/ cool circuit to use on brewpi. I never got around to building as I've never soldered something that small before.

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_205217.jpg
    IMG_20200520_205217.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 94
Yes mate here we go. I think you install a wemos on to it as well but can't recall as they were purchased last year along with all smd resistors

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_212622.jpg
    IMG_20200520_212622.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200520_212645.jpg
    IMG_20200520_212645.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 88
Good morning guys I haven't been on here for quite a while due to other projects and not brewing for about a year. I've been sorting out my garage and came across a few pet bottles and ispindel pcbs which I'm happy to let go at cost price. I may have switches and a few other components too if anyone is interested.

DM on the way.

Also is it possible to flash the wemos before I install it? at least I can get something done while I wait for the rest of the bits to arrive

Yes you can flash the WeMos on its own, providing the diode has not been removed - all you need is the board and a suitable USB cable which supports data (not all do, some are just charging cables).

For a laptop, you need install ESP8226Flasher.exe, plus a copy of the firmware.bin

My Ubidots page gradually began to fail to update my Ispindel guages, then failed completely at around 16:30 today - what have I done? Ispindel is still seeming to send the data, with a flash every 60 seconds....

I have had the Ispindel on a soak test, sending batches of data every 60 seconds - I make that 1440 updates per day.

It says on my gauges
'Error Loading Your Data'
'Something went wrong at our end and we were unable to load your data' 'RETRY'

Yes you can flash the WeMos on its own, providing the diode has not been removed - all you need is the board and a suitable USB cable which supports data (not all do, some are just charging cables).

For a laptop, you need install ESP8226Flasher.exe, plus a copy of the firmware.bin

It says on my gauges
'Error Loading Your Data'
'Something went wrong at our end and we were unable to load your data' 'RETRY'

I think I must have exceeded the data limit for the free account, though it doesn't make it clear how to work out how much you are using. It is back now.

The idea of my sending data every 60 seconds was to see how long the battery survived at that data rate. Its a 2200mAH which ran for 24 hours, or 1440 data points. At a rate of one set of data every 15 minutes, it should manage around 15 days between charges.

Last edited:
I found the educational ubidots unreliable. I moved to industrial.ubidots.com - still free!

That is the one I am on. I think it must have been the number of data reads I made of the site, whilst testing which triggered the problem - if only the site had notified me, rather than an error message.

The 'refresh' button doesn't produce the most up to date data, you have to use the 'enable real time' button next to the 'refresh'. Everyday is a learning experience :cool:

Back