iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get it, and is it calibrated? Was it one of mine?
Yes, it's one of yours. I did a factory reset on it too.
I did the calibration to set it at 90 degrees (which works fine) - it reads 90 degrees (or thereabouts) when placed on a table. Just off by a lot when vertical.

I'd do the 90deg on a spirit level tested flat. Then ping me a photo of it via messages so I can see what the battery is. I'll then send over the calibration formula that should line up with that build. I wouldn't worry too much about the vertical message as you're never anywhere near that when brewing.

I'd do the 90deg on a spirit level tested flat. Then ping me a photo of it via messages so I can see what the battery is. I'll then send over the calibration formula that should line up with that build. I wouldn't worry too much about the vertical message as you're never anywhere near that when brewing.
Yeah, I'm not too concerned. It's just that it's quite a lot out. I could always just leave alone and recalibrate with sugar solution, but that's a fair bit of effort I was hoping to avoid. Let me get you that photo.

Could anyone help me with my iSpindel (@gingerneil ?).
The last few brews have been way out on the FG (not a real issue as the actual value from the iSpindel is unreliable anyway, and I just use it to judge when fermentation has finished).

I put it in water and it was measuring 1.020, and then I traced it down to the fact that when I have it vertical, the iSpindel is reporting that it's about 13 degrees.
View attachment 81903

The in built calibration works to set what 'horizontal' is, but how do I recalibrate it so that it says 0 degrees when vertical?
Water at 20 degrees approx angle should be around 25 degrees.
What angle do you have?
You need to set this angle not a vertical angle after you have calibrated the horizontal.

You need to set this angle not a vertical angle after you have calibrated the horizontal.
yeah, but if I can hold the whole iSpindel vertically and it says that it's at a 10-15 degree angle, then I can't trust any of angles that the iSpindel is reporting. I can always just live with it and recalibrate it with sugar water again, but was hoping that I didn't have to.

Oh... I think I may have figured it out. I had the cap on before, and was ensuring that the iSpindel was level, but only in one axis (I was just letting it roll until it settled, and it settled like this):
1676304161247.png

I propped it up with a little bit of paper so that the PCB was horizontal across both axes, and now when I hold it up vertically, it's reading 1 degree, rather than 15!

Plopping it in water, it's reading 1.005, which is a lot better than the 1.020. I can use my handy recalibration tool to just nudge the formula (or wait for gingerneil to supply me with his stock formula) and it should be back to normal.

Great... I've sent the calibration formula over that I use for that battery. 👍
Thanks Neil. That at least gives a better reading for water than mine had done.
My main error was clicking that calibration button going "I wonder what this button does" 😆

Also make sure when doing this that the lip of the tube is over the edge of the surface and not 'propping up' the tube.
Ah - I never knew that thanks. Mine is never bang on but does seem to vary across the range. I have just done a brew which was 1.058 OG on the hydrometer and 1.053 on the ispindel (correctly temperature adjusted). At the bottom end the difference tends to be much less marked. I will calibrate it one more time now I have a better hydrometer.

The important bit to ensure that is horizontal is the gyro board when you enter maintenance mode and press configure.
It doesn't matter if the lid is on or off just prop it in such a way that the gyro is horizontal. That will set your 90 degrees correctly.

Is there an off the shelf calibration formula then?
No, we it depends on each individual build and the relative weights of each component etc.

BUT, Neil has made lots of them with the same components. So all of his that were built with the same battery will have the same formula.

Really need to give calibrating mine a go again, definitely a rush job first time round, haven't used it for an age as I've seen too much scaremongering about infections despite knowing I can sanitise it easily.

No, we it depends on each individual build and the relative weights of each component etc.

BUT, Neil has made lots of them with the same components. So all of his that were built with the same battery will have the same formula.

There is a formula built into the firmware, but its accuracy will really depend on the build. Battery weight, for example, can vary hugely.

There is a formula built into the firmware, but its accuracy will really depend on the build. Battery weight, for example, can vary hugely.
I should probably try and use this, as above I'm not hugely fussed on it being 100% accurate, just use it as a gauge of where fermentation is at, especially as the Krausen has done me over every time I've used mine.

Hi, I've been thinking of getting one of these, the problem is I do my brewing in my workshop which is about 15 mtrs away from the house and the wifi signal is not that good, will it connect directly to my phone or has it to go through my router, I`m not bothered about getting info from it in the house but will it work if I`m in the workshop.

Hi, I've been thinking of getting one of these, the problem is I do my brewing in my workshop which is about 15 mtrs away from the house and the wifi signal is not that good, will it connect directly to my phone or has it to go through my router, I`m not bothered about getting info from it in the house but will it work if I`m in the workshop.
I’ve got exactly the same problem so I opted for a nautilis relay with 2 I-spindles as I’m not bothered about plotting temp and gravity graphs and just like to see what’s happening in real time. Might not suit everyone but as I’m a complete technophobe it suits my needs and I’m very happy with the package .

Thanks for that I`ll have read of that. I have a few spare routers knocking around so I was wondering if I could utilise one of them in the workshop, IE, connect Ispindel to the router and connect my phone to the router as I don`t think it needs a an internet connection.

You could utilise the spare router as a relay to the house, should get 15 meters no trouble.
Other option would be to make a WIfi relay out of a D1 mini. Easy software and install.

Made another one earlier this week to improve signal from my brew cellar to the main router.

Back