ispindle Problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha.......... my second ispindle has arrived......

Its on test and reading as accurately as the first one but perhaps its just me but I dont trust it not to leak like the first one did. I did have an Hydrom which I must admit although it very rarely worked...... IT DIDNT LEAK AND STOP WORKING?.

Who ever invented pressure fermenting anyway. Fryer Tuck never used it anyway so why should I?

I`m going to go back to basics and brew in a Pinter!

Ok so I only get 10 pints.....well 7 pints after all the froth but that still only works out at £1.95p per pint.

Less is more they say.........wait am I suffering from non parametric end user syndrome?

Should I choose the opposite direction and go micro brewery? Fryer Tuck would have chosen that route. Invest £8589.00p and get beer. Ok then the Sherriff of Nottingham is officially under attack to rob his wealth and pay for my micro brewery.

note to myself: stop drinking homebrew ASAP!

May as well use this thread that start a new one.

iSpindel has worked perfectly over a few batches, but in latest it's consistently read temp as 0° (clearly not the case).

I'm certain that nothing has made it inside the tube, but this would indicate that the temp sensor is fried?

Has anyone had this and can recommend a fix?

The gyro measures (not controls!) The tilt angle.

I can't see why a dead gyro would make the temperature read 0°C though - but I don't know how it works

Not quite off topic but has anyone had any joy adjusting the device when you know it is x amount of gravity points out? Mine seems to be 5 points over, as in when 25c water, it reads 1.005. I tried messing around with the algorithm but that did nothing. I cannot be bothered recalibrating the whole thing and will just use it knowing it is 5 points out.

Not quite off topic but has anyone had any joy adjusting the device when you know it is x amount of gravity points out? Mine seems to be 5 points over, as in when 25c water, it reads 1.005. I tried messing around with the algorithm but that did nothing. I cannot be bothered recalibrating the whole thing and will just use it knowing it is 5 points out.
Yes.

I have been keeping track of the tilt angle and OG/SG (measured by hydrometer) over the course of a few brews. I am going to plug those values back into the calibration tool to get a new algorithm at some point.

If you want a not-as-accurate-but-quicker method, I created a quick recalibration tool where you can plug in the formula, an OG/FG pair as measured by the hydrometer and ispindel and it'll give you a new formula:
https://agentgonzo.github.io/ispindel-adjustment-tool/

You can set an adjustment within the software, I have mine set 4 points higher than it reads.

How do you go about doing that? Because from what I have been looking at, it isn't immediately obvious.

Sorry I have realised that I meant in Brewfather software..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-29-07-39-56-302_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-29-07-39-56-302_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
@gingerneil Have you looked at moving to using the kegland pill cases?

From an engineering point of view the lids on the PETlings used for iSpindel have a limited lifespan and seal the wrong way around for being submerged in liquid.

I guess it needs a new PCB design to fit?

I've looked, but its a full change and requires a new PCB design. The pill cases are also expensive and I can only find them at Kegland themselves via Ali Express. This would make the ispindel far more expensive. Željko (developer of the Nautilis) has gone down this road - but I simply dont have the time to develop my own solution. You can see what he's done here: https://www.nautilis.eu/portfolio-item/ispindel-pill-electronic-hydrometer/

I've looked, but its a full change and requires a new PCB design. The pill cases are also expensive and I can only find them at Kegland themselves via Ali Express. This would make the ispindel far more expensive. Željko (developer of the Nautilis) has gone down this road - but I simply dont have the time to develop my own solution. You can see what he's done here: https://www.nautilis.eu/portfolio-item/ispindel-pill-electronic-hydrometer/
Ah it must be his iSpindels I've seen on ebay then. As you say they're much more expensive, although if it greatly reduces the failure rate then it might be worth it.

having already purchased a rapt pill and being very impressed with it, the battery life is excellent even on wifi and it works well under pressure, I decided to try an ispindel build using the rapt pill housing, an esp32 c3 super mini module, patch board and gravitymon firmware, the build had been successful but I haven't had chance to try calibration yet and with family over from the uk (I am in South Africa) it will be a few weeks before I can finish, my main concern is the balance which may need some work. if successful I can post the build of anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back