It's been a week... Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyDB

Reaction score
Hi after some advice.

We pressed about 13l of apples last week from my dad's garden (not sure what they are)

We've had it sat for a week and it hasn't started fermentation yet so getting abit worried.

We added

Teaspoon of Yeast nutrient
2 Campden tablets crushed
Teaspoon of pectolytic Enzyme
Waited 24 hrs
Teaspoon & bit of Gervin GV13 Yeast.

We were going to do the rest of the apples this weekend but are now having second thoughts wondering if we did something wrong?

Appreciate any help especially as it's out first attempt

I did pretty much the same, but waited a few days before pitching the same yeast. That was around tea time, next morning it was away.
I would re pitch the yeast if it were me.
Did you take the sg?

I did pretty much the same, but waited a few days before pitching the same yeast. That was around tea time, next morning it was away.
I would re pitch the yeast if it were me.
Did you take the sg?
Hi yes we took the sg we were unsure about adding more sugar but we were happy with the reading so decided against.

I was thinking about adding more Yeast but as its our first I didn't want to spoil it. I'll add another Teaspoon of Yeast.

We've just pressed and filled up a 25l vessel.

We've added Campden tablets and nothing else.

What does the Yeast nutrient do if your adding at the same time as the Campden tablets?

Were going to leave this 48hrs before adding the Yeast and hope it starts to ferment

This is our first batch my dad added more Yeast nutrient this morning but its been sat for over a week now, all the Yeast has sunk to the bottom.
IMG_20220902_190359.jpg

So just take the original gravity reading and subtract the current sg.
So if that's the case would we need to add brewing sugar and Yeast to start again?

I think the original reading was 1.140 and we thought that was fine so didn't add any sugar at all.

Hiya,
Not surprised you didn't add any sugar as 1.140 is off the scale for most Hydrometers.. mine only go to 1.120. So it's not lack of sugar. With a SG of 1.140 and now it's 1.055 that gives you an ABV of 11.14% so looks like it's fermented out but it's going to be very sweet. More like a sweet wine rather than Cider. When i do TC my SG is normally 1.052 and F G 1.000 giving an ABV of 6.81%
Try a sample and see what it tastes like .

Latest posts

Back