It's been a week... Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Campden tablets won’t stop the fermentation altogether. How many did you use per demijohn?
The first bath which was about 15l we crushed 2.

We added Yeast to 2 demijohn's yesterday and left it uncovered just put some netting over and they've started.

IMG-20220908-WA0001.jpg

Whoohoooo... nice one. Glad to see them kick off. Get a bung and airlock on asap... you don't want vinegar fly having a party after all the trouble you've had. 😎

Big 20l ones going that we did the other day.

Still nothing from the one we did over 2 weeks ago,we've pitched new Yeast 4 & 1/2 teaspoons the other day still nothing.

Any suggestions?

IMG_20220911_172705.jpg

Think i would give up on that once now. If you can't think of what you did different to the others. 😟🙁

Have you tasted it?
If it tastes very sweet tip both demijohns into a fermenting bucket and make sure you oxagenate it. Take an SG reading
Make up a strong yeast starter.
1 heaped tsp yeast
1 tsp nutriant
2 to 3 tsps sugar
Warm water
Cover and leave yeast starter for 24 hours
If you have vit b1 tablet add 1 crushed tab to must and pitch starter.
Then wait.. give it at least 48 to 60 hours if nothing happens tip down drain.
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

If anybody else out there has any thoughts please add... im no expert and never had this happen to me.

Have you tasted it?
If it tastes very sweet tip both demijohns into a fermenting bucket and make sure you oxagenate it. Take an SG reading
Make up a strong yeast starter.
1 heaped tsp yeast
1 tsp nutriant
2 to 3 tsps sugar
Warm water
Cover and leave yeast starter for 24 hours
If you have vit b1 tablet add 1 crushed tab to must and pitch starter.
Then wait.. give it at least 48 to 60 hours if nothing happens tip down drain.
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

If anybody else out there has any thoughts please add... im no expert and never had this happen to me.
I did what you suggested and there going finally now I bought some craft cider Yeast which was different and added 1/4 cup of brewing sugar.

I'm wondering if the sugar has made the difference as the guide we followed the chap added sugar but we didn't as we were under the impression the sugar was for adding alcohol?

I think you might be best reading a book on cider making. I have one, it’s about 12 quid and will tell you all you need to know.

It’s not a heavy read either and very good for reference.

Andrew Lea did this for a living, I think it would help you no end.

Attachments

• 13F944EB-04D8-4002-B897-291C9D576910.jpeg
    13F944EB-04D8-4002-B897-291C9D576910.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3E2BF705-2D38-437F-92FF-51D5921E66DD.jpeg
    3E2BF705-2D38-437F-92FF-51D5921E66DD.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 0
I think you might be best reading a book on cider making. I have one, it’s about 12 quid and will tell you all you need to know.

It’s not a heavy read either and very good for reference.

Andrew Lea did this for a living, I think it would help you no end.
Thanks I will check it out

i am wondering if there's an issue with your yeast - perhaps it is struggling to overcome the stun effect of the camdens. Get some sachets of Youngs yeast, or the love brewing one - they have never failed for me.

i am wondering if there's an issue with your yeast - perhaps it is struggling to overcome the stun effect of the camdens. Get some sachets of Youngs yeast, or the love brewing one - they have never failed for me.
I've 3 demijohns which look like they've finished fermenting almost 2 weeks there quite clear now so I'm going to take a reading and see if there ready to be bottled up

Great news that there going now. Did you take an SG reading and if so what was it??
The other 3 sound like there doing well.
Keep us posted how they turn out.
Think the book Polcho recommend sounds very good too, think i might get that one myself.

Great news that there going now. Did you take an SG reading and if so what was it??
The other 3 sound like there doing well.
Keep us posted how they turn out.
Think the book Polcho recommend sounds very good too, think i might get that one myself.
Took an SG reading today after I racked 5 demi John's.

Not sure if this is ok?

I think the original SG reading was 1.040 now it's between 1.010 & 1.005

IMG_20220927_162403.jpg

Starting at 1.040 and now 1.010 = 3.93% 1.005=4.59% so average for a Cider. Are you sure it's stopped fermenting? If so leave it to clear.

Starting at 1.040 and now 1.010 = 3.93% 1.005=4.59% so average for a Cider. Are you sure it's stopped fermenting? If so leave it to clear.
Thank you, I think they have we've left the ones we got started a week or so ago, these were the first to ferment and they've stopped bubbling. I've put the airlock back in and will leave them another few weeks.

I cleaned the airlock on one of the recent ones and the smell inside the demijohn wasn't great (sulpher, egg) compared to the others where you could smell the alcohol.

I normally leave mine about 2 to 3 weeks to clear and when done rack into clean DJ, prime the bottles and bottle.. done. If needed will sweeten with non fermentable sweetner. I prime my bottles with carbonating drops.
Hope they all turn out good. 😎🥂

I normally leave mine about 2 to 3 weeks to clear and when done rack into clean DJ, prime the bottles and bottle.. done. If needed will sweeten with non fermentable sweetner. I prime my bottles with carbonating drops.
Hope they all turn out good. 😎🥂
So today we bottled up 3 demijohns worth and added 1 & half tablets of Coopers Carbonation Drops hoping it makes it sweeter and more drinkable.

Am I right in leaving them for at least 7 days before opening or can they be used once the sugar has dissolved

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back