It's birthday shopping time...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Right, my missus has given me 20 quid to order specality malts, hops and yeasts with...my local has the cheapest DME I can find so no need to order it!

Any suggestions, favourites that I could toy with? I'm mostly a light ale brewer and definitely ordering some caragold and american hops :)

I'd go lots of Cascade hops, Safale US-05 yeast and maybe a little bit of crystal malt.

Try to plan a few brews ahead. This really keeps the cost down. Choose a dual purpose hop that your happy with and experiment with the malts, or PM me and Ill set you up with what you want (at cost only)

If you're buying DME then 20 quid is not a lot. I spent 15 and a bit today on 1.5kg of extract and 113g of Bullion. I wanted Northern Brewer but they'd run out. The Hop Charachteristics thread is fantastic :clap:
I already knew from that that Northdown was the nearest alternative but they only had some highly compressed vacuum packed blocks at a rather high price. Remembering my father's favourite phrase.........."'ow much?????????????" I went for the bullion in their own vacuum packs because the AAs were similar to NB.

Happy birthday anyway! It's mine next week and it has a zero in it. She'd better do better than £20 but if she gave me that much just for beer making I'd enjoy making the type of choice you're about to make.

Duxuk said:
If you're buying DME then 20 quid is not a lot. I spent 15 and a bit today on 1.5kg of extract and 113g of Bullion. I wanted Northern Brewer but they'd run out. The Hop Charachteristics thread is fantastic :clap:
I already knew from that that Northdown was the nearest alternative but they only had some highly compressed vacuum packed blocks at a rather high price. Remembering my father's favourite phrase.........."'ow much?????????????" I went for the bullion in their own vacuum packs because the AAs were similar to NB.

Happy birthday anyway! It's mine next week and it has a zero in it. She'd better do better than £20 but if she gave me that much just for beer making I'd enjoy making the type of choice you're about to make.

DME I will buy seperately :) this is for speciality grains, hops etc, nothing as a "base."

Here's what I went for in the end, spending just shy of 25 quid courtesy of worcester hop shop :)

Grain:
2kg CaraGold
1kg CaraMalt
1kg CaraPils
1kg Crystal Malt
1kg Torrified Wheat

Hops (vac packs:)
Bobek
Aurora
Cascade
Northern Brewer
Mt Hood