It's foraging weekend!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Three hours work and I have...

yvyju8am.jpg

Two big bags of elder
u6esa2yg.jpg

Two pounds of brambles
bebe6yhe.jpg

Two pounds of damsons
5unuba8e.jpg

And the bonus bag! About six pounds of Mirabelle plums!!!
8yvydu3y.jpg

in the last week ive got around 6kg of elderberries, about 8kg of apples in the freezer waiting for the rest to be ready and also got about 4kg of blackberries. and waiting for someone to bring a bag of damsons round so I can try a port.

Slacking there a bit only out 3 hrs :lol: :lol:

Well done good haul. :thumb: :thumb:

Elderberry Stout on the cards :whistle: :whistle:

calumscott said:
Three hours work and I have...
Two big bags of elder
Two pounds of brambles
Two pounds of damsons
And the bonus bag! About six pounds of Mirabelle plums!!!]
Sounds much better than my idea of harvesting the millions of rose-hips that have appeared in my locality (despite my never having noticed any actual roses!) One look inside a rosehip convinced me that this is not a fruit worth harvesting since it is all seed! But I do recall a lot of elderflowers a few months ago so I think I will go back and see if there are now elderberries in those places.

graysalchemy said:
Slacking there a bit only out 3 hrs :lol: :lol:

Well done good haul. :thumb: :thumb:

Elderberry Stout on the cards :whistle: :whistle:

Cheeky bugger!

No idea what weight of elder I have, I'm going to pour a large Rioja and get started with the fork... I'm going for a couple of gallons of moley's elder, a gallon of your elder, bramble and damson port (I'm going to try to ferment to the mid-teens and fortify to 20%) and I'll see what I have left after that. If I don't have enough I'll be going back for more for the stout, what with #2 on the way, the missus tells me that I have to make her stout - good for the milk apparently and last time she had to make do with Guinness...

I'll be doing the "light" version though not your imperial effort!

Need to get more brambles for jelly though... And I know where there is a whole lot more! :thumb:

Six and a half kilos of elders forked off the stalks... I reckon I've got another 4 kilos to go!!!

Might have over estimated a touch at the picking stage.

Ho hum.

MORE WINE!!! :thumb:

9.1kg of elders off the stalks. Sweet!

Need to go back for more brambles for the jelly though.

I'm going to have so much "making" fun. Loads of wine, elderberry stout, port, plum jam, looks like a decent haul of green tomatoes left in the greenhouse for chutney...

I like this time of year. :thumb:

Think I will go down the canal tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on.

Drove round to the mrs auties for sunday lunch today.. looked out the back window n yo behold an elderberry tree!

Picked a nice 3kg with plenty more to come :D

ish1349 said:
Think I will go down the canal tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on.

Finar finar :whistle: :whistle:

I managed a couple of carrier bags today.

Going to freeze them stalk on and then give them a quick shake and the berries will fall off leaving the stalks on the surface :D :D

I went out today to see if I could get my hands on some Elderberries ....... Fat chance :cry:

On the up side, I found a patch of trees with lots of red berries on it.
Got back home and found out what they are .... Rowan berries :D

May also try a Hawthorn berry wine too ;)

got my elderberrys today, they are safe in the freezer :thumb:

also found a damson tree, need to go back with ladders :party:

looks like I will be getting a batch of GA's port going next weekend.

I managed to get some blackberries and elderberries yesterday, will get some more next weekend. I also picked a small amount of sloes, but not sure if they are ready yet so didn't go too mad.

What recipes do people usually go with when using elderberries and blackberries? I may make a start best Sunday after picking some apples and pears. Never made a wine from scratch, got a few books and I'm quite looking forward to it, they may be next years Christmas presents

score :party:

OfS9HTJ.jpg

JbeHNXq.jpg

PPGfwF2.jpg

enough for 2 gallons of elderberry port :grin:

must be another 20 lb on the tree
but my ladder not long enough

EDIT
all washed, stoned and in the freezer
final weight just over 3.5 lb (2 bags x 1lb 12oz each)

found a few maggots,
I guess if any made it into the freezer
they will add some protein and body lol

SWIMBO wants to make pie :-(

Well. Managed to get hold of 3kg of blackberries and roughly 4kg of elderberries still on stalks. Took a couple of hours but was worth it.
Now all in the freezer bagged up.

Latest posts

Back