Jimsbeerkit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EccentricDyslexic said:
Sod footie...i want Jims back!

lol

steve

:lol: yeah we have gone off topic

Lets leave this thread uncluttered :thumb:

Jim said:
Some useless but interesting info: -

Outage Information
On Saturday, February 20 2010, at approximately 2:20 p.m. MST during an annual fire system inspection of our data center the fire suppression system was inadvertently triggered and discharged into the data center environment. The discharge of the fire system has affected the hardware and operations of our servers. Not all servers have been affected by the discharge. We are working to restore our servers and services as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this interruption we will be experiencing extended outages.

So now we know why, but not when things will be back to normal. :roll:

Hopefully it will be up and running again soon Jim - I'm missing my daily fix!

Jim, that explanation sounded like it could have been written in another language. Made no sense to me at all ...

Good luck with it, hope you're back up soon!

i got the gist of it. allow me to provide my translation.

"we tested the fire alarms and the sprinklers went off. water and servers dont mix. sorry"

i think someone was having a cheeky smoke indoors and soaked the servers. or there was actually a real fire! i doubt anyone would be stupid enough to test the spirnkler system and not wonder what it would do to the servers.

EccentricDyslexic said:
I'm intrigued...do some on here have a problem with JBK? or is it just friendly rivalry? :wha:
steve :?

Friendly rivalry. Most of us are members on both, athough I don't post as much as I should do.

Datacenters do not tend to use Water, although modern sprinkler systems are pretty good nowadays.. . . normally a Halon replacement nowadays . . . . Having said that when the Halon system goes of it blows a Shed load of dust into the atmosphere and this has probably taken down the servers . . . Seen it done one in a Mainframe Datacenter . . . Not pretty . . . . And unless they have two datacenters with redundant network links then they are really b*ggerd . . . especially if the 'leak' has taken down the network infrastructure . . . . Which is what really cripples our environment :roll:

Sorry to hear of the trouble Jim . . . unfortunately it is going to have to be a wait until it comes back . . . . and even then its going to be flaky

On the plus side, Jims being down has prompted me to sign up on this forum and and check it out.

Hope it's back up soon Jim.

Aleman said:
Sorry to hear of the trouble Jim . . . unfortunately it is going to have to be a wait until it comes back . . . . and even then its going to be flaky

Maybe they need this guy

devotion_to_duty.png

I'm sad to say we're still waiting.

Anyone who likes a laugh could do worse than have a look at the WestHost support forum at the moment. Customers are currently going ballistic while WestHost employees scamper about trying to placate them. :roll:

Grrrr!!! Its madening! Cant they even put a redirection page up to notify peeps that there are problems and to meet all your buds on here? :hmm:

Arrggghh!!!
:evil:
Steve

EccentricDyslexic said:
Grrrr!!! Its madening! Cant they even put a redirection page up to notify peeps that there are problems and to meet all your buds on here? :hmm:

Arrggghh!!!
:evil:
Steve

Although most of the static pages of the site are working, I have no access to the server either by FTP or the site manager, so I can't even put a message up.

If I'd known (i.e. if WH had been honest) about the expected length of the outage from the start I'd have looked at using an alternative host - though then we'd have lost a week of data, as I only take a remote back up weekly (on a Sunday) and we can't get at the daily backup because it's on the server.

Rock, hard place. :cry:

Jim said:
Some useless but interesting info: -

Outage Information
On Saturday, February 20 2010, at approximately 2:20 p.m. MST during an annual fire system inspection of our data center the fire suppression system was inadvertently triggered and discharged into the data center environment. The discharge of the fire system has affected the hardware and operations of our servers. Not all servers have been affected by the discharge. We are working to restore our servers and services as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this interruption we will be experiencing extended outages.

So now we know why, but not when things will be back to normal. :roll:

Sounds like a fun place to work...
Must be a case of "No! NO!! Not that Button!" as they fill the Data Centre with Halon gas or whatever it is they use these days?
:)

The Client Service manager is called Clint.

:whistle:

A highly unfortunate event. I was wondering what was up with the forum.

Latest posts

Back