John Lewis.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We don't have one round here but when we used to go to Blackpool for a day out SWMBO always dragged me round the store.

1616608163936.png

John Lewis has said it will not reopen eight of its stores once lockdown eases, putting 1,465 jobs at risk.

The retail giant said some locations could not sustain a large store.

The closures include four "At Home" shops in Ashford and Tunbridge Wells in Kent, in Basingstoke, Hampshire, and in Chester, Cheshire.

Department stores in Aberdeen, in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire and in Sheffield and York in Yorkshire, are also closing.

John Lewis that the eight shops were "financially challenged prior to the pandemic".

Earlier this month, the retailer warned it would be making more store closures after the impact of the pandemic led it to report a hefty annual loss.

The latest move comes on top of the closure of eight stores that John Lewis announced last year.

Andrew worked at the John Lewis store in Birmingham for five years before being made redundant last year.

He has worked in the retail industry for 20 years.

"I'm not surprised by today's announcement," he said. "While it's true that customer shopping habits have changed, I believe the partnership was in the middle of an identity crisis before the pandemic."

Mr Taylor said the company has "struggled to adapt and needs to work on diversity and inclusion as a business to reflect modern-day Britain."

"My thoughts are with all those affected by today's announcement," he added.

Full article - John Lewis announces eight store closures

SWMBO has just reminded me they had a café at the top of the building and you could get a cracking view of the beach etc, i knew there must have been a reason i didn't mind going in there.

Thanks @UKSkydiver i never knew that always assumed when all the talk about john Lewis Partners started it was Lewis's moving foreword.

1616610119894.png

The store here in Norwich used to be called Bonds (still is by some people) before being renamed to John Lewis in 2001. Thankfully is not one of the ones closing (or staying closed!)

There used to be a big Lewis's (not John Lewis) store in Glasgow.
Had a great big food hall on the ground floor when I was a kid in the 60s.

Latest posts

Back