Jon Finch NEIPA recipe question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewista

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently fermenting a NEIPA all grain recipe kit I bought from Malt Miller. Instructions are minimal and for the dry hop it just says 7 days. Does that mean dry hop for 7 days (and if so when do I add them) or on the 7th day in which case for how long!

The recipe is from the book Beer Craft and I wondered if anyone could post an image of that page?

This is my first NEIPA and from what I read the dry hop often has to go in during the most active period of fermentation (which is now) so I just need a little guidance.

Many thanks,

Brewista.

Hi,

I'm currently fermenting a NEIPA all grain recipe kit I bought from Malt Miller. Instructions are minimal and for the dry hop it just says 7 days. Does that mean dry hop for 7 days (and if so when do I add them) or on the 7th day in which case for how long!

The recipe is from the book Beer Craft and I wondered if anyone could post an image of that page?

This is my first NEIPA and from what I read the dry hop often has to go in during the most active period of fermentation (which is now) so I just need a little guidance.

Many thanks,

Brewista.
Hope you can see this clearly enough, good luck D3CC8D4F-8F09-42A6-A69C-8BEDC2836E72.jpeg

Attachments

• 75D55225-65B7-4278-97C1-D29075813810.jpeg
    75D55225-65B7-4278-97C1-D29075813810.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 167
It sounds delicious and with 300g of those hops it should be.
In my limited experience it doesn’t make too much difference when the hops are added and everyone has their own preference, I usually wait until fermentation is almost complete then add hops but I think I have read somewhere that with this style people do add them when it’s active but overall it will still be a hop bomb

Thanks for the images pms67. I'll have a close look in a bit as am out at moment. I wasn't sure if adding them early was required for NEIPA's in order for bio transformation to occur although I could be talking rubbish!

Ah, instructions no more detailed than those supplied by Malt Miller. I'll give it a week to 10 days I think then dry hop.

Hi,

Many thanks,

Brewista.

I brewed this a couple of years ago and it was really delicious.

I see from my notes that I brewed it on 20th May. On the 22nd May I added the dry hops. On the 28th May I removed it from the heat and put it in the shed where it was a bit cooler. I then bottled it the next day 29th May. As I said a really tasty beer, and my son recently returned from New York at the time complimented me on it saying it was the best NEIPA he'd had in the UK. Just noticed that in my version it was Cashmere rather than Galaxy as the third dry hop but I'm sure your will still be delicious.

David

I brewed this a couple of years ago and it was really delicious.

I see from my notes that I brewed it on 20th May. On the 22nd May I added the dry hops. On the 28th May I removed it from the heat and put it in the shed where it was a bit cooler. I then bottled it the next day 29th May. As I said a really tasty beer, and my son recently returned from New York at the time complimented me on it saying it was the best NEIPA he'd had in the UK. Just noticed that in my version it was Cashmere rather than Galaxy as the third dry hop but I'm sure your will still be delicious.

David

Hi Spratt,

Thanks for looking back over your brew notes regarding the above. I've decided to dry hop it a little earlier than I first said based on this and add them tomorrow. This will be day 4 and if I leave them in for the recommended 7 days that'll be 11 days in total fermenting and hopefully I'll be nearly at FG.

Brewista.

Hi Spratt,

Thanks for looking back over your brew notes regarding the above. I've decided to dry hop it a little earlier than I first said based on this and add them tomorrow. This will be day 4 and if I leave them in for the recommended 7 days that'll be 11 days in total fermenting and hopefully I'll be nearly at FG.

Brewista.
That sounds good.

Hope you enjoy it

David

for the dry hop it just says 7 days. Does that mean dry hop for 7 days (and if so when do I add them) or on the 7th day in which case for how long!

Oh boy, this is a whole can of worms! There's a lot of schools of thought, depending on what people think is important.

Dry hop 7 days generally means at 7 days after pitching. Traditionally they've been left in for 3-4 days, but recent research suggests pretty much all the good stuff is extracted within 24h or so, and leaving for 4 days plus means extracting more vegetal elements of the hop which you don't want.

Some people like to have some dry hops at pitching or high krausen (after 24-48h) to maximise the opportunity for the yeast to biotransform and add complexity, but there's a bit of a move away from that now on the grounds that it can lose hop intensity.

Another popular time is as the yeast is finishing, at say 1.020 or so. The idea here is that you can still get a bit of biotransformation, and benefit from the yeast consuming the oxygen that is introduced inadvertently when you add the hops.

More recently there's been a trend towards doing a cool/cold crash to drop out most of the yeast, and then dry hopping, the theory is that you get less hop burn that way but you're at more risk of oxygen ingress unless you take precautions against it.

FWIW Cloudwater DIPA v4 was dry-hopped during fermentation, v5 after fermentation - they found some people preferred one, an almost equal number preferred the other, and more people preferred a blend of the two!

I didnt buy this kit but instead followed the recipe for the grist and replaced the hops with the ones Adnams use in their NEIPA (Chinook, Mandarina Bavaria and Citra). I’ve just checked my notes and I dry hopped after 11 days and bottled 3 days later. I was really pleased how that turned out.

Nebraska IPA. Because Nebraska is so well known for its IPAs. I think that I'm missing the joke here.

Hi @Northern_Brewer and @Markk. Thanks for your replies which I've only just seen. I'm fast learning there is no one rule for anything in brewing and dry hopping a NEIPA is definitely no exception! My hops didn't go in during high krausen but fermentation was still active so there may be some biotransformation but I'm not sure how anyone knows if there has been or not unless you brew these an awful lot. I'll check SG after 11-12 days (total) and if it's done start a cold crash then and hopefully keg around the 14 day mark. If all goes well and I brew another in the future I'll try hopping after 2 days and see how they compare!

Latest posts

Back