Just couldn't get the hop flavour through.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon04

Reaction score
I recently made a Wakatu bitter. It tastes prominently hoppy, but I really hoped some of the citrus flavours would remain.

Wondering if anybody could advise please??

Here's what I used;

10g @ 90 mins
40g @ 15 mins
25g @ 0 mins
25g @ Dry Hop

(Ibu 26). I used S-04 yeast, but now feel that S-05 might have been preferable.....

For super hoppy IPAs Daniels recommends at least 35g for aroma additions. In saying that, you don't seem to have a low amount of hops. Do you know your water profile? For example, I just adding calcium sulphate to a brew so as to get the Burton on Trent effect and bring out the hops. Different water profiles are suited for different style of beer.

In saying that I just did that 5 minutes ago so maybe I am a little biased in rushing to that possibility.

A simpler explanation may be that the hops weren't the freshest.

Brewberoza said:
For super hoppy IPAs Daniels recommends at least 35g for aroma additions. In saying that, you don't seem to have a low amount of hops. Do you know your water profile? For example, I just adding calcium sulphate to a brew so as to get the Burton on Trent effect and bring out the hops. Different water profiles are suited for different style of beer.

In saying that I just did that 5 minutes ago so maybe I am a little biased in rushing to that possibility.

A simpler explanation may be that the hops weren't the freshest.

I'm not very good on water chemistry, but I've recently been suggested to add 3/4tsp of gypsum for pale-hoppy and a mix of more gypsum and salt for IPA.

I've just done a batch with the 3/4tsp - but it is very heavily hopped - so not exactly a fair test.....

Hops were foil sealed and opened just prior to use - however, I can't comment on the production method and date.....

I live in Swindon and the water here is very hard, CA: is about 100-105 ppm MG:5-10 ppm, SO4 is 76 ppm, CL:38.50 and the total hardness is 270-290 CaCO3...

Richard

As others have said recently, go for hop bursting late on. Using the same amount of hops you could have done this.

10g 90 mins
20g 15 mins
20g 10 mins
20g 5 mins
10g 0 mins
20g dry hop

I reckon you would have more hop flavour from the schedule. You are right about the yeast but 05 yeast seems to take an age to settle down. Make sure you dry hop late on when the fermentation is slowing down as an active ferment seems to push the hop notes out.

c_burgess said:
As others have said recently, go for hop bursting late on. Using the same amount of hops you could have done this.

10g 90 mins
20g 15 mins
20g 10 mins
20g 5 mins
10g 0 mins
20g dry hop

I reckon you would have more hop flavour from the schedule. You are right about the yeast but 05 yeast seems to take an age to settle down. Make sure you dry hop late on when the fermentation is slowing down as an active ferment seems to push the hop notes out.

Funny enough, the Citra-Calypso I have in the fermenter now was a hop burst. First time I've tried it.

Such high alpha, that I didn't use any bittering hops.

Is has the aroma of a fruit salad! I hope the flavour is equally as good :-)

this is how i get super hoppy ales
90 mins
hop addition to get your desired ibu

15 min half whirflok

10 min
50 gram

Zero
60 gram seep for 20 mins at 80C

dry hop for 20 litre brew re rack to secondary cool from fermentation temp to 15c for 7 to 9 days
60 to 100grams either whole or pellet
and 05 yeast
:drink:

nobyipa said:
this is how i get super hoppy ales
90 mins
hop addition to get your desired ibu

15 min half whirflok

10 min
50 gram

Zero
60 gram seep for 20 mins at 80C

dry hop for 20 litre brew re rack to secondary cool from fermentation temp to 15c for 7 to 9 days
60 to 100grams either whole or pellet
and 05 yeast
:drink:

Sounds an expensive hop addition - but I'm not brewing to save money :-)

The citra-calypso was heavy on hops, I hope it's fab!

Sorry!!! I'm getting more confused every time i read this post! No one has stated the batch size? I don't know what is really trying to be archived? Something like a mega aroma eg. SNPA?
To get mega aroma just chuck about 50-60 grams in at (0 mins)flameout and steep for 15-30 mins in a 5 gal batch with a known high aroma type hop.

Richard

Bopper said:
Sorry!!! I'm getting more confused every time i read this post! No one has stated the batch size? I don't know what is really trying to be archived? Something like a mega aroma eg. SNPA?
To get mega aroma just chuck about 50-60 grams in at (0 mins)flameout and steep for 15-30 mins in a 5 gal batch with a known high aroma type hop.

Richard

It's a 15 litre batch....

I was hoping the Lime flavour from the Wakatu would survive - but it didn't.

How long since you brewed?
I find that hoppy pale ales take a little while to develop the aromas.
You can drink them 4-5 weeks form brewing but they are better 6-8 weeks in - flavour and aroma really seem to pop out after a while.

puravida said:
How long since you brewed?
I find that hoppy pale ales take a little while to develop the aromas.
You can drink them 4-5 weeks form brewing but they are better 6-8 weeks in - flavour and aroma really seem to pop out after a while.

It has been bottled 3 weeks... I'm happy to leave it longer before consuming the rest.

Latest posts

Back