Keg fermentation - cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone who keg ferments, do you take the spunding valve off before cold crashing?

Do you attach a gas line during cold crash?

Anyone got an answer for this?

My gut feeling is to hit it with maybe 30-40psi before cold crash and crash it fairly slowly. Anyone done this?

Just tagging in on this as I would also like to know.
When I crash my FVs I add a balloon full of CO2 and crash. I have a valve arrangement so I can top the balloon up without removing it. Its a pain tbh but hopefully prevents O2.

Just tagging in on this as I would also like to know.
When I crash my FVs I add a balloon full of CO2 and crash. I have a valve arrangement so I can top the balloon up without removing it. Its a pain tbh but hopefully prevents O2.

So what I did was remove the spunding valve, shot it with 20psi turn my fridge down a few degrees c, once it equalised I shot it with 20psi again, then repeated that over the next couple of days. Dunno if it's the right way to do it but I think it should be nicely carbed (it's a lager btw so aiming for higher carbonation on this one).

I've not yet done it, but have a corny full of 'lager' that I plan to cold crash this weekend. I had planned to put it under 20psi with the spunding removed for 3 days, Then move to final keg and again leave at 20psi for a couple of days before bringing to drinking temp.

Back