Keg priming and Nitrogen use question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
I am trying a king Keg for the first time. I normally use Brewers Friend to calculate the correct sugar priming amount for bottles. Does the same suggestion apply for barrels?

Attached is a photo of my modified lid. I threw away the infamous CO2 cartridge fitting and replaced with a motorcycle tubeless valve and extension. The idea being if the pressure gauge reads to high I can unscrew the extension and release via the Schraeder valve. The other fitting is an electric solenoid that will be connected to a diving cylinder filled with Nitrogen. Working in the dive industry I have access to Nitrogen but not CO2. As Guinness use Nitrogen for dispensing (so I believe) I assumed its ok. I just plan to use this pressure to dispense with. I have still to learn more about force carbonation, so will leave that topic alone for the time being.

The valve set up is still work in progress as I am sure I can neaten it up
IMG_20221011_221421.jpg
wink...

IMG_20221011_221421.jpg
wink...

Nice, and yes the priming sugar calculation is the same for keg or bottle.

If you want to force carb you'll have to change to metal kegs - I do not believe you can force carb (or force nitrogen?) in those kegs, but I may be wrong!

Back