Kegerator not cooling enough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shorter version:

My fridge isn't getting below 12degC despite being set to #5 max cooling.

It's running constantly - every time I go in the garage it's humming away (sound of the compressor?).

I've checked the thermostat - it reads 0.1 Ohms regardless where I set the control knob. I actually bought a new one but it reads exactly the same.

Any idea what to check next, or do I just give up and get rid, and source another fridge?

Longer version:

I picked up a second hand fridge recently from eBay, Hotpoint RLA36, visually seems in good nick, seller had just been using it as a beer fridge.

20210710_111128.jpg

In the picture you can see I've got a keg in there (just fizzy water in it at the moment) and a cup of water for measuring the temperature.

The fridge is set to #5 max. cooling.

I've calibrated my thermometer, yet the temperature of the water in the cup or from the keg is only about 12degC.

(By contrast my fermentation fridge next to it will happily get down to 0degC during cold crashing.)

20210710_111151.jpg

The funny thing is you can see from this picture that there's ice forming at the top of the back wall. I've added a CPU fan to get the air moving to see if that will bring the overall temperature down.

I've checked the thermostat on the cooling knob and it reads 0.1 Ohms in all positions. I actually bought a new one just to see but that reads the same too.

Could need gassing. If it’s low on refrigerant then the compressor will be running more often and icing up at the back will happen (I think). Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chip in 🍺

I’ve got the older version, RLA 34, and it gets down to -2. It does ices up a lot, I think my one might have a blocked drain as it leaked out loads of water when I let it warm up again.
Thanks - actually the seller was selling one of those at the same time, the auction ended a couple of minutes earlier and I just missed out.

The ice I can/could deal with - but I'm still faded with the issue that it's just not cooling as it should.

Will double check everything else, door seals, dust on cooling fins on the back etc etc etc.

Toying with the idea of either just "investing" in a new fridge as I can get a discount through work, or phoning Hotpoint to see what a repair would cost. Out just gamble again on eBay, FB Marketplace again.

The thing is, size wise this fridge is ideal - I'll easily get 2 kegs in there and I *think* I can probably squeeze in a third.

Hi Matt give it a good clean round the back, use one of those compressed cans of air they use on computers you can get in all the nooks and cranny's, start simple and work your way through it then if it gets to a point were it is looking like a lot of dosh to fix it ain't cost much

Hi Matt give it a good clean round the back, use one of those compressed cans of air they use on computers you can get in all the nooks and cranny's, start simple and work your way through it then if it gets to a point were it is looking like a lot of dosh to fix it ain't cost much
Thanks @Rodcx500z - actually just having a look at the back and to be honest the cooling coils are pretty clean, barely any dust on them at all.

The big black compressor unit is pretty hot to the touch though ("hot cup of tea" hot is say) - much as I understand the basic thermodynamics of refrigeration, bit being a fridge repair guy unfortunately I've no idea if that's expected!
20210711_113159.jpg

Right... Having scoured eBay, Amazon and online spares retailers I can see various people selling what appears visually to be the part (starter relay) I need...

But none of the part descriptions say it will specifically fit my fridge...

Don't know whether to chance it for £20...

Hmm... maybe just phone round the spares retailers tomorrow and see if there's an actual human who can help me... 😕

My first RLA36 had similar issues and I decided to change it out for a new one. Which would have worked fine if I hadn’t drilled through all the wires (I did check on the duff one where the wires went but they charged the routing). AO asked if I had a warranty claim but I said a two inch hole in the side might negate that LoL.
New one (both were new) is working fine although I have found it depends where you put the temp probe to get the best out of it.
I am now touching wood and ordered two tons of lucky heather.

I worked on fridges and freezers for about 3 years...... if the compressor is running a lot or continuously, or it's not getting down to temperature, it's one of two things.....
Lack of gas, or weak compressor.
It's not worth re-gassing unless you test the compressor beforehand.
If the compressor is foobarred, dump the fridge, it cost's more to fit a new compressor and re-gas it than it costs for a new fridge.

Latest posts

Back