Kegging - switching between Co2 bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all.

Just looking to bends your ears for a bit of advice.
Looking to get in to kegging but don't have enough room for a full kegerator in my gaff. Was thinking of getting some 5l and/or 10l kegs to keep in a fridge (empty just for this usage, so enough room for keg/s). The thing is the fridge is outside (outside cupboard), so not convenient for pouring a beer and sitting somewhere comfortable. So with this in mind I was thinking the following.

Have a keg in the outside fridge carbed/supplied by 6kg Co2 cyclinder. Set the keg up with some type of fixed tap. All well and good so far. Now I want to sit down and sink a few pints in my front room. Can I disconnect from the 6kg Co2 bottle and attach a sodastream bottle (with adaptor) to dispense (and also make it more manageable/transportable)? Also will insulate the keg somehow to retain the cold temp. Then when finished boozing connect back up in the outside cupboard fridge on the 6kg bottle?

Obvious reason for this is because the 6kg bottle will be considerably cheaper than using sodastream to carb and dispense.

Hope this makes sense. And if so is perfectly doable....

Many thanks in advance kids.....

Yes you can switch between gas bottles.

There’s a couple of ways you can do this. The cheaper is to buy a regulator for the big CO2 bottle and an adapter for that regulator to go on the sodastream. That might be a bit fiddly to keep unscrewing the regulator though.

Alternatively instead of the adapter you can buy a mini regulator that goes on the sodastream bottle: Universal CO2 Regulator - The Malt Miller
That way you can disconnect one co2 source and change to the other in a couple of seconds.

The third really cheap way is to get some 2 litre plastic bottles and a carbonator cap. Either transfer your evening’s drinking into these, or put gas in them and use them as your gas supply. They can take a lot of pressure.

How long is your boozing session? You'll might get away without a 2nd co2 source.

JB - Thanks for the info. Plenty for me to look in to.

G - How long is a piece of string???? Good to know though if its a modest affair....

Appreciate the responses

Latest posts

Back