Kegland Blowtie users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerson909

Reaction score
question for anybody using the Kegland Blowtie to pressure ferment. I've currently got my first pressurised fermentation underway, I pressurised the fermzilla initially and then set the blowtie to 15 psi. The pressure dropped a few psi before fermentation started but it is now underway and the pressure has risen to 20 psi with a constant stream of co2 from the blowtie. Is ~5psi over set pressure normal while fermentation is underway? I understand there will be a difference between the opening and closing pressure for the blowtie but wasn't expecting it to be that much, cheers

No I’ve found it opens and closes at pretty much bang on set pressure. Is there any chance something could have got in the diaphragm? They’re fairly easy to take apart to clean apparently

No I’ve found it opens and closes at pretty much bang on set pressure. Is there any chance something could have got in the diaphragm? They’re fairly easy to take apart to clean apparently
It’s the first time I’ve used it so unlikely but will have a look once the fermentation has calmed down. Thanks for coming back anyway, at least I know that’s not normal. I’ve dropped the pressure back down to 15psi so will see if it stays there.

It’s the first time I’ve used it so unlikely but will have a look once the fermentation has calmed down. Thanks for coming back anyway, at least I know that’s not normal. I’ve dropped the pressure back down to 15psi so will see if it stays there.
I wonder whether it depends on the yeast you use and the strength of fermentation? I guess if you’re using something hefty like kveik and the fermenter can’t physically vent enough pressure through the BlowTie to keep up with the amount of CO2 being created then it may show a higher pressure. I only brew 10L batches so have a smaller amount of CO2 being generated. When I used a non-BlowTie unit (which sealed terribly) I would sometimes have to open the valve a bit more to vent pressure faster if it was overshooting - perhaps you could try this and then tighten it up once it’s settled down?

Last edited:
yeah there would be a point where the valve chokes and back pressure increases but I can open it up and the pressure drops so don't think it's that. Maybe I backed it out a bit more than I thought when setting it, it seems to be sticking at 15 now so will see what happens when it stops producing co2. Thanks for answer anyway, at least I know it should work! athumb..

it's w34/70 and temp has crept up to 23 deg now, hopefully this pressure fermentation keeps it nice and clean!

If you want a diaphragm valve to to work to a set pressure within a certain parameter then the parameter has to be close to the operating pressure, within 10 to 15 PSI. So if you want to run with a pressure of 10 PSI don't expect a 0 to 40 PSI valve to be accurate, especially down the lower end.

If you want a diaphragm valve to to work to a set pressure within a certain parameter then the parameter has to be close to the operating pressure, within 10 to 15 PSI. So if you want to run with a pressure of 10 PSI don't expect a 0 to 40 PSI valve to be accurate, especially down the lower end.

Slightly embarrassingly it’s sat rock solid at 15 now so I guess I wound the dial out a bit too much when trying to set

Latest posts

Back