Kentish Ale ( pics to follow)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

Reaction score
3200 pale malt
120 Amber malt
244 crystal
175 wheat
20 black

hops

22g Challenger 7.5% for 60 minutes
35 Golinds 5.1% for 10
30G goldings 5.1% for 1
15( maybe 20??) goldings at flame out for a 20 minute steep.

Will be using essex ale by Whitelabs as it says it adds a biscuity effect which is what i am after ( the recipe is based loosly on a Bishops finger that i found somewhere!)

I made a 1000ml starter last night. Shook the life out of it then pitched the yeast. First signs of fermentation were a series of small bubbles ( loght foam) but as the jar is a 2l jar, and as the top is covered with Aluminium foil i don't expect a whopping karausen. in fact the last 2 Wl yeasts i have used have been like this.

Brew day is planned for tomorrow evening so the starter would have ghad 48 hours to get going prior to it being pitched.

I'll strir things up tomorrow by adding boiled cooled wort to it as soon as poss and whipping it with a paint mixer.

Am hoping the above will give me a nicely maltly tasty beer with a little bitterness. I am wondering if i should mash at 66 or whether i should mash slightly higher in order for more mouthfeel and body.

Thoughs appreciated please.

here are a couple of pics to get things started.

grist

01052010101.jpg
am betting this will smell great when it gets into the mx with some water:

I am using essex ale yeast and thought i would make a slope from it as well.

05052010109.jpg

05052010108.jpg

As I started to make the starter solution the baby woke up, so my trustie assistant did the starter for me, from mixing the wort, to cooling and pitching. So far so good.

05052010106.jpg

More to follow from brew day......

Hello and welcome to the forum d :cheers:

Great looking recipe i`ve got a summer lightning clone in the FV with the same hops - but pale malt with a little amber and wheat for good measure chucked in :cool: Hope your brews a good un :drink:

bones said:
I take it your Ale would be made in Kent...

Where are you...

i am originally from the other side of the bridge in Essex, but am now an ex pat in North west Norway:

I like the shep and neame brews and have been in touch with them regarding bishops finger. I have a mail somewhere were they tell me the ingredients and hops, ibu and strength. I'll try and dig it up.

Latest posts

Back