Liquid Yeast - am I missing something?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liquid yeasts don't suit everyone for the reasons above but, used correctly you can see some big flavour advantages in the finished product.
I do prefer the ease of dry yeast over liquid but I think for yeast forward styles liquid tastes better. For making saisons, Belgians, wheats etc liquid has always come out better than dry equivalents for me. I really like to brew lager styles too and when I think back to my best batches, they were liquid yeasts.

There's also this interesting xbmt exBEERiment | Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP001 California Ale vs. Safale US-05 American Ale In An American Pale Ale.

I do prefer the ease of dry yeast over liquid but I think for yeast forward styles liquid tastes better. For making saisons, Belgians, wheats etc liquid has always come out better than dry equivalents for me. I really like to brew lager styles too and when I think back to my best batches, they were liquid yeasts.

There's also this interesting xbmt exBEERiment | Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP001 California Ale vs. Safale US-05 American Ale In An American Pale Ale.
That’s interesting with the Brulosophy link - I have never bothered with liquid Chico strains because I’d read so much about them all being the same etc. Once I’ve used up my current stocks I might try one of the liquid ones and see if it makes a difference.

I agree to an extent on the lager yeasts - my current Mexican Lager is probably the best lager I’ve brewed and it’s the first time I’ve used the WLP Mexican Lager yeast. I felt it gave it a drier feel and accentuated the flaked corn and and lime notes. I can’t remember noticing too much of a difference between my usual dry go-to (Lallemand Diamond) and the liquid German Lager strains I’ve used so I’m not sure a lot of the difference is the fact there’s a much larger selection of wet lager yeasts whereas dry only seems to come in German or Czech.

One thing that surprised me when it comes to the more yeast driven styles was how much I preferred my witbiers made with M21 to the one I made with WLP400.

Last edited:
Brew Dudes recently did a comparison of three English ale yeasts with a blind taste test: Lallemand Nottingham, Wyeast Thames Valley and Wyeast West Yorkshire

Lallemand Nottingham came last by some margin.

I've found some really long lag times with liquid yeast. I think 4 days was the longest. I can't say I'm a fan but they do produce such a wide range of interesting sounding liquid yeasts that I keep getting tempted!

Brew Dudes recently did a comparison of three English ale yeasts with a blind taste test: Lallemand Nottingham, Wyeast Thames Valley and Wyeast West Yorkshire

Lallemand Nottingham came last by some margin.

Proving what? The yeast selected for and sold on the basis of its neutrality and versatility, capable of fermenting anything from lager to stout, is by a long margin, more neutral and versatile?

Proving what? The yeast selected for and sold on the basis of its neutrality and versatility, capable of fermenting anything from lager to stout, is by a long margin, more neutral and versatile?
I was thinking this - they’ve put a neutral yeast head to head with 2 more characterful yeasts.

That’s interesting with the Brulosophy link - I have never bothered with liquid Chico strains because I’d read so much about them all being the same etc. Once I’ve used up my current stocks I might try one of the liquid ones and see if it makes a difference.

I agree to an extent on the lager yeasts - my current Mexican Lager is probably the best lager I’ve brewed and it’s the first time I’ve used the WLP Mexican Lager yeast. I felt it gave it a drier feel and accentuated the flaked corn and and lime notes. I can’t remember noticing too much of a difference between my usual dry go-to (Lallemand Diamond) and the liquid German Lager strains I’ve used so I’m not sure a lot of the difference is the fact there’s a much larger selection of dry lager yeasts whereas dry only seems to come in German or Czech.

One thing that surprised me when it comes to the more yeast driven styles was how much I preferred my witbiers made with M21 to the one I made with WLP400.
I'm sure side by side many would be able to tell the difference between US05 and WLP001, but even after reading that I still stuck to US05 because it's really good and the ease of use outweighs those gains. However, I got my hands on WLP060 American Ale Blend and it's my favourite Chico yeast!

Interesting what you say about M21. I don't think I've used it before. I have used Safale WB-36 and it's made a really nice wheat, but I think ultimately my beers have come out better with liquid equivalents.

I'm sure side by side many would be able to tell the difference between US05 and WLP001, but even after reading that I still stuck to US05 because it's really good and the ease of use outweighs those gains. However, I got my hands on WLP060 American Ale Blend and it's my favourite Chico yeast!

Interesting what you say about M21. I don't think I've used it before. I have used Safale WB-36 and it's made a really nice wheat, but I think ultimately my beers have come out better with liquid equivalents.
I can tell the difference between M44, US-05 and BRY-97 so I’m not sure why I was so surprised by the Brulosophy in hindsight. It would be interesting to see them use a wide range of dry and liquid Chicos to see what the differences are.

Yeah my Hefeweizens have all come out better with liquid yeast (although I’ve bought Lallemand Munich for a future brew because I have no idea when I’ll be brewing it), but for witbier I can’t see beyond M21 - gives it a nice mouthfeel and a more rounded taste IMO.

I agree with this. It is not universally true but, as much as I love dry yeast and use it most of the time, I fondly remember yeast forward beers I've made with liquid yeast. I am currently fermenting a beer with WLP001 for the first time, I'm interested to see how it turns out. I don't do lagers but a beer given me by a friend that he fermented with Munich liquid yeast was noticeably lush and delicious. I like saisons and for me the best saisons are made with liquid strains, no doubt about it.

I do think some dry strains are rivalling their liquid counterparts. Lalbrew Abbaye and Verdant spring to mind. Dry yeast technology keeps improving and the gap has narrowed considerably.

M44 and Bry-97 seem the same to me. Do you not think so?

They are noticeably different from 05 to me. Similar but different.
I find BRY is cleaner than M44 but not quite as clean as US05, and it doesn’t flocc as well as M44 but floccs better than 05.

I agree with this. It is not universally true but, as much as I love dry yeast and use it most of the time, I fondly remember yeast forward beers I've made with liquid yeast. I am currently fermenting a beer with WLP001 for the first time, I'm interested to see how it turns out. I don't do lagers but a beer given me by a friend that he fermented with Munich liquid yeast was noticeably lush and delicious. I like saisons and for me the best saisons are made with liquid strains, no doubt about it.

I do think some dry strains are rivalling their liquid counterparts. Lalbrew Abbaye and Verdant spring to mind. Dry yeast technology keeps improving and the gap has narrowed considerably.
That’s good to know about Abbaye. I haven’t made a Belgian style beer since my disastrous Dubbel 3 and a half years ago, but bought a pack of Abbaye on a whim a month or 2 ago inspired by Beermasters on Amazon with the intention of doing either a blonde or a Tripel at some point.

That’s good to know about Abbaye. I haven’t made a Belgian style beer since my disastrous Dubbel 3 and a half years ago, but bought a pack of Abbaye on a whim a month or 2 ago inspired by Beermasters on Amazon with the intention of doing either a blonde or a Tripel at some point.
I would recommend a darker beer with Abbaye. It's a versatile yeast and good for pale beers too but particularly suits brown and dark ales I feel. Something like Westmalle Dubbel works well with it.

I find BRY is cleaner than M44 but not quite as clean as US05, and it doesn’t flocc as well as M44 but floccs better than 05.
I've not done side by side comparison but I had come to the conclusion that M44 must be repackaged Bry-97.

I've not done side by side comparison but I had come to the conclusion that M44 must be repackaged Bry-97.
There is a lot of speculation about repackaged yeast but no hard evidence, I wonder why. You would think there should be traceability of yeast manufacture as it is a food product after all.

There is a lot of speculation about repackaged yeast but no hard evidence, I wonder why. You would think there should be traceability of yeast manufacture as it is a food product after all.
The head of marketing for MJ UK told me face to face that one of their yeasts is Nottingham.

Because repackaging isn't anything new. Most hops are. There's even less evidence of 'manufacturers' selecting, culturing and drying their own.

for witbier I can’t see beyond M21 - gives it a nice mouthfeel and a more rounded taste IMO.
I love witbier and would love to give this a go, but I currently have about 4 other wheat yeasts sitting my fridge 🤣. I think yeast is my favourite ingredient to play around with.
Yeah definitely, dry yeasts are getting better and I do hope dry becomes equal to yeast in both quantity and quality.
I've also read MJ yeasts are repackaged but as you say, it's just something I've read in forums with no hard evidence. I'd imagine the manufacturers themselves keep traceability records but they don't need to show this to consumers. I do have mixed feelings about this: on one hand a company who can buy a product in bulk and then sell it on is doing business, nothing wrong with that; but dressing it up as their own product with no added value feels a bit dodgy.

I will also add the caveat that at the end of the day I don't really care too much :laugh8:

Back