King Keg - Is there a knack?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only made a few brews, all from Festival kits. All went well, until trying to get a glass of beer from the King Kegs.

So the first brew was the Golden stag. Priming was about 110g. It was quite foamy throughout, and took a while to get a glass full. However, it required no gas at all, to finish.

The Razorback took what looked a shed load of primer, yet requires gassing a few times every glass. Again, it’s quite foamy, but not as much as the Golden Stag.

So I’m wondering if there is a knack to pulling a glass of beer that doesn’t take all night, or if I am missing a step or three?

IMO foaming is a combination of barrel pressure and the tap. My experience is if you just crack the tap (that comes with the King Keg) open you'll get foamy pour. The higher the pressure in the barrel the more foam. A faster pour will give a less foamy pour. A different tap might help as well. I changed over to the sparkler type with the sparkler bit wound right out and kept the barrel pressure between 6 and 9 psi. Worked for me.

Latest posts

Back