King keg float issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean12

Reaction score
HI all,

Looking for some help on this float system.
The insert with the black washer on that fits in the back of the tap is very hard to push in. The washer either gets distorted or if it does go in it pushes the insert back out.
When I tried to pour a beer it obviously wasn't a good seal and it was pulling the air through but not the beer.
Any tips would be appreciated on this. My other king keg float is a push on one and it always work's fine, first brew in this barrel with this float.
IMG_20231210_145605000.jpg

Lube up the o-ring with vaseline.

Also, lower the float by adding suitable weights to the bottom. I was lucky enough to have some SS washers that went under the ball. You could zip tie something to it too.

Was literally about to post with the same issue. The O ring, as delivered, is making the bung too tight to fit into the rear of the tap and, even doing the best I can with Vaseline & a small flat blade to keep it in its locating slot the ring kinks. Any attempt to draw beer produced mostly foam as pressure leaks around the seal.

Tried two cures. Firstly warming the tap in hot water while cooling the bung in ice. Secondly sealing the end of the bung with PTFE 'plumbers tape'.

It's now dispensing OK but since I've broken a basic science experiment rule and changed two variables at once I'm not sure which was the winner.

Given two of us reporting the same fault I suspect something in the keg's components has changed. Might get in touch with Youngs and see if they've anything to say.

Was literally about to post with the same issue. The O ring, as delivered, is making the bung too tight to fit into the rear of the tap and, even doing the best I can with Vaseline & a small flat blade to keep it in its locating slot the ring kinks. Any attempt to draw beer produced mostly foam as pressure leaks around the seal.

Tried two cures. Firstly warming the tap in hot water while cooling the bung in ice. Secondly sealing the end of the bung with PTFE 'plumbers tape'.

It's now dispensing OK but since I've broken a basic science experiment rule and changed two variables at once I'm not sure which was the winner.

Given two of us reporting the same fault I suspect something in the keg's components has changed. Might get in touch with Youngs and see if they've anything to say.
Hi, yes I tried the hot water way

Hi

Given two of us reporting the same fault I suspect something in the keg's components has changed. Might get in touch with Youngs and see if they've anything to s

Hi, I tried the hot water method didn't work for me. I have another keg with sparkler tap and the float is push on type never had an issue. I am thinking of getting another sparkler tap and taking the part that slots in the tap off, and just push end of tube on float on to sparkler tap. I will post on how I get on if I try this.
Let me know if you do get any joy off Youngs.

Thanks for your reply

My guess is that the tap and the attachment for the float are both standard components whether the keg has a pin or S30 valve for gas. Given that you have a previous version with a different fit I suspect that the change is either 'continuous improvement' or a change to save money. I've got mine sealed now with a length of PTFE tape around the join between the bung and tap. Assuming that works in the medium term - while I drink this batch - I'll live with it.

I would though want to dismantle it and clean/sterilise the dispense system as individual parts between brews so if getting it back together is a faff I might want to look for another tap/bung. Nearest proper homebrew shop is nearly an hour's drive so will probably do some 'fishing' on websites.

I've spoken to Youngs but the technical person wasn't in today. Left my name and phone number.

Will keep this thread updated.

Is this the design you have in your other King Keg?

PS Young's website has an infestation of greengrocers apostrophe's :roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
Replacement O ring arrived today. Will try and fit it next time the King Keg is filled.

Latest posts

Back