kit ABV - leaning towards the higher side

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupinehorror

Landlord.
Reaction score
doing a bad cat imperial red ale currently. stock it should be 7.5%. with some tweaking i have it up to
2020-12-08 18_45_29.png

after 14 days which is rather robust. any of you do something similar?
i short filled to 19L and bunged in a reasonable amount of brewing sugar.

Never pimp a kit you haven't brewed once by following the instructions. A 5% beer is 25% stronger than a 4% beer. A 10% beer will just make you stroppy after six pints. Would you sleep with an old drunk? No, so don't expect your partner to. :laugh8:

luckily i live alone. haven't been actually drunk in many months.
must try harder but just because a higher ABV has been reached it doesn't mean it has to be quaffed copiously. no-one bats an eyelid if a tripel is 9.5%. or an imperial stout is 10.5%.

I always pimp kits - Wilko winter ale got swapped around from a piddly 4.8% EST to 8.4%.

My last kit was an imperial stout original 9% I bumped it up to double figures cos 2 are better than one. 😏

Bear in mind making your own extract brew is just a small step if any from pimping a kit. I do kit up for those styles I've not replicated well with dme extract only brews.

i always tweak them also even if it was just adding grapefruit juice to my last IPA kit (oh and additional hops from CML). it personalises them slightly.

Back