KMeta and KSorbate Alternatives in Europe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loetz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm about to make my first mead, and I'm looking for some stabilizers. Everything I read online seems to suggest KMeta and Ksorbate. The Kmeta is potassium metabisulfite, which is used to protect the wine from spoilage by bacteria. The Ksorbate is potassium sorbate, which is added to wine to prevent re-fermentation after the wine has been stabilized and sweetened.

I'm assuming then that the replacement for Ksorbate is just this, but what do I use to replace the potassium metabisulfate? Campden tablets?

I've normally heard sodium metabisulphate, not potassium, NaMet is Camden tablets

In terms of usage by the wine maker there's little difference between Sodium or Potassium Metabisulphite. In the UK, SodMet is more commonly available from home brew suppliers.

Campden Tablets offer a measured dose of SodMet and represent one tenth of a teaspoonful in an inert binder, usually starch based.

I'm not following you. Are you saying that Campden is sodium metabisulphate, and that Campden is a good substitute for Kmeta?

Put simply yes. As Moley said, there's little difference between sodium metabisulphate and potassium metabisulphate, and campden tablets are a measured source of sodium metabisulphate. So yes campden tablets are a perfectly good substitute for potassium metabisulphate

They're usually 1 crushed tablet per gallon, so 5 or 6, unless Moley/someone more experienced with them than I says otherwise.

As Brewtrog says, it's usually 1 CT to the gallon, which is ideal when people are using demijohns.

But .... if you are making in larger volumes, then SodMet powder would be cheaper.

One level 5ml teaspoonful of powder is equivalent to 10 tablets, so for a 30 litre brew you would use half a teaspoonful.

I dissolve 2.5tsps of powder in 250ml of water and then use 10ml of solution to the gallon.

I already keep campden tablets on hand for my brew water, so I won't buy the powder if it doesn't make a difference. Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Back